Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

green frog, documentary, snow

Aug 11, 2012 11:55 AM

I'm new to this town and am thinking of doing a documentary about it.

Pulling the ideas together in my head...and talking to historians etc...and also the tech aspects ( cameras available, editing suites, end product ( broadcast etc )...is fun to deal with.

Meantime, in order to keep in shape ( or more precisely " get " in shape ) I am becoming a golfer.

I find that walking up and down the hills and listening to the early bird chirping over his worm gives me good exercise mentally and physically.

As far as the actual skill of golf goes, I am still very much bothered by my visits to the green frog.

frog.jpg

This is a diagram of the amazingly smart slice I must make to get to the frog...

the green frog slice.jpg

If I could do that on purpose I would be happy.

But since I am aiming for the green, and end up in another county behind the frog, I have become the laughing stock of the golf course. Kids gather around me as if I was the " village idiot".

Anyway, I am thinking about a documentary about this cool town and slightly anxious about the cold winters and all the snow that comes with that season.

So, of course, these " elements" of storytelling come into play... like, what can I do during the snowy winter to keep working on this documentary ? What will the green frog look like covered with snow ? How can I keep in practice regarding my golf prowess when I can't see the ground due to all the snow ??

Any suggestions welcome !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to able123

Now, if you can get that slice attenuated a bit, it will be a good shot to take to a Jack Nicklus designed course. Nearly all of his holes are some form of dog-leg right, as that was his shot - a power-fade. I can only recall a few Jack Nicklus holes, that were dog-leg left, for a draw, though I have certainly not played all of his courses.

Are there any indoor driving ranges near you? Seems that in MN, there are indoor everything, including whole shopping centers that are sealed from the outside, and buildings, that connect via heated pedestrian tubes.

Just shoot for about 3 Seasons, and then edit in the Winter. Throw a 12-pack of Coors Lite into a snow drift (don't let 'em stay too long), and make sure that you have wood for the fire, where you can get to it. That was kind of how we did it in Colorado, though our "cold spells" usually only lasted a few days, where in MN, they last all Winter.

Also, and I am sure that you remember this from NYC and CO, but do NOT eat yellow snow!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to able123

in order to keep in shape ( or more precisely " get " in shape ) I am becoming a golfer.

That's funny.  When was the last time you saw a golfer with ripped abs or tree trunks for arms?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to able123

And lack of exercise.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to able123

Keep us updated on the documentary progress.

My wife put me in charge of entertainment. I shop the bargain bins at Walmart and Cherokee Coin (pawn shop) here locally for DVDs and Blu-rays.  The other night we watched Extreme Habitats.  The video footage was great.  The dialog not so great and the actual Blu-Ray programming layout was poor.  For instance the host would announce something like; next we travel to Tahiti.  You get your hopes up for Tahiti and they take you to Mongolia or Lapland.  That was strange and disappointing. Could be what brought the price down to $5 in the Walmart bin.

It seems every nature documentary builds in a mini lecture on how man is destroying the planet and global warming is killing the polar bears and shrinking the ice caps.  Do foundations offer documentary producers funding if they mention  global warming and melting ice caps?  We have another documentary called Under the Sea.  It's an IMAX 3d Blu-ray narrated by Jim Carey.  Carey gives a similar spiel as the host did in "Extreme Habitats".  Carey goes on about how global warming is killing fish.

I have a friend whose last name is Carey.  Bet he's glad his mom and dad didn't name him Harry.

BTW, let us know if you get approached by a foundation and offered funding for reminding viewers of your documentary that man is ruining the golf courses of Minnesota.  (Didn't mean to imply that you are personally.)  The frog in the picture still has an eye at least on the one side.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to able123

Rod wrote:
    "I think people making the documentaries are genuinely concerned about keeping environments healthy etc."

I hope so.  Some claim to have seen plies of garbage the size of cities floating by while on ships out in the ocean.  IMO, this should be of greater concern than Global Warming.  Carbon taxes are a money maker and Global Warming stories provide the excuse for a new tax  How about tax breaks for homeowners planting trees and oxygen producing plants on their property?  I believe it's about money and new ways to tax the masses as opposed to tax breaks.  Iceland jailed the bankers, refusing their austerity solutions and bailed out the victims of banker fraud.  Their economy is now doing well.  In America we bailed out the banks and failing corporations while the little guy who paid for 20 years on a 30 year mortgage only to lose his home to foreclosure got nothing.  Our economy is not doing so well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to able123

Although the zebra mussel thing here in lake area is now a big deal and the next " big worry " ....I hope to avoid that sort of thing where you try to get people's attention by alarming them and inflaming issues.

See, you need to import a bunch of Cajuns, tell them that zebra-mussels are good to eat, and out of season. The problem will be gone instantly.

As for the indigenous species vs native species, there have been some interesting developments over the years. Going back some years, there was a big, vocal and active movement in Colorado to eliminate ALL non-native species (they actually wanted that to go all the way up the food-chain to man). They did PSA's, and newspaper ads, plus picketed the Game and Fish, and the Capitol. Of course they had chosen "ugly" critters to mark for total elimination. Then someone pointed out that the Mountain Goat was NOT a native species in Colorado, and would have to be hunted down. Whoa pardner! Those Mountain Goats were cute as heck, and everyone loved them, including the activists. Suddenly, the "cute factor" won out, and much of that campaign came to a screeching halt.

In West Texas and New Mexico, there is a big push to "save" a lizard, that no one has ever seen in those areas, but speculated to live near the oil/gas exploration areas by a Berkeley biologist, who theorizes that they might just live in such areas, though no one has ever seen one. The thrust is just to stop all oil/gas exploration, in the name of an invisible lizard. While some "save the ____ " campaigns start out with noble intentions, one needs to look beyond the posters to the real thrust of the program. I am surprised that Disney/Pixar has not done a film about those invisible lizards, and how evil energy exploration has caused them great harm. Maybe next Summer's animated blockbuster?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill:
    When I lived in California someone I knew in the 80's had plans to build an RV park.  The environmental experts came out and determined that there was a Kangaroo Rat on the property.  The cost of capturing and relocating the rat came to around $20,000.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

You know Charles, I just cannot imagine a poor Kangaroo Rat having to grow up in a "trailer park." Think of the implications!

Now, I think that for $20k, one could have bought the rat a cute little rat-bungalow somewhere, but what do I know? Heck, I saw "tarpaper shacks" in Sherman Oaks going for $ 1.8M.

I could be wrong on this, but I imagine some folk just go around with a bag of Kangaroo Rats and a bag of Spotted Owls, and maybe one with invisible lizards, and just drop one out, where they want to stop development, sort of Johnny Appleseed style.

Now, if someone wanted to develop several thousand acres for a pot farm, I would think that the protesters would move on, regardless of what lived on that acreage - then development would be quickly OK'ed. However, maybe not?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to able123

and the protesters would end up getting married to each other in Vegas...

In that little pink chapel, by an Elvis impersonator preacher...

I think that you have a screenplay on your hands there. It would also provide a lot of work for some burned out hippie actors, who do not get much work these days. Not sure if Nevada has tax incentives to film there, but might be worth a look.

You also already have the makings of a soundtrack too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to able123

the roaches in their car ashtray

"Better get Orkin!"

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to able123

"They know about insect life in the area".

Just snapped this large dragonfly in our front yard.  Wish I had a better camera.  Georgia has to be one of the bug capitols of the world.

dragonfly.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to able123

Rod:

Talk about a bug...  Our friend let us use his cabin in Helen Georgia.  We drove from the cabin to the German-style town of Helen for some river rafting.  My friend who drove our two families up in his van, lost his car keys in the river.  While we were looking under his car for a spare key, we found the following strange bug.  I didn't know what it was so I later Googled large insects of the South East.  This thing is called a Dobsonfly.  The female's are known for their painful bite:

dobsonfly_handful.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to able123

able123 wrote:

And I begin to sing, " mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy, a kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you ? "

I have had that song stuck in my head, on an off, for over 50 years.

Apparently my Mother would sing it while she was pregnant with me. She said it got stuck in her head while my father was overseas during World War II.

"If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey,"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I vaguely remember that song. I think my mom sang it a couple of times when I was a kid. I totally got the lyrics wrong.  It's one of those kind of tunes that sticks in your head.  Thanks for posting the REAL lyrics Rod.  Did you always know the real lyrics or did you recently look them up on the Internet?

Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3oSyr8mHY4

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Chuck A. McIntyre

My memories of the refrain go back to the mid to late 1950's.

I had to look up the bridge about 20 years ago.

Isn't it interesting that the meaning of the word "queer" has changed so much that the recording you linked to from 2009 changed it to "weird"? But weird doesn't rhyme with ear. So it kind of throws it off a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to able123

"Which i wouldn't touch for a zillion dollars."

If I can get the embed code to work, you will see a snake we found in our backyard.  I tried and it didn't work Apparently the forum doesn't support urls from facebook uploads. Holding snakes are possibly worse to some than holding a tarantula.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points