Skip navigation
cookcorec
Currently Being Moderated

PDF to Word black background in Text blocks

Aug 15, 2012 7:55 AM

Tags: #images #textarea #convert #convert_to_word #convert_to_.docx #black_box

I converted a pdf flyer to Word for editing date and location of an event. Three of the blocks of text that I wasn't going to change looked like  they were in text blocks with black backgrounds. I was unable to change the black blocks and had to do a color fill to cover the blocks. It was frustrating and not completely effective. Why did this happen? What is the resolution ? I anticipate converting many such flyers with new dates and times and I do not appreciate this glitch in the conversion process. What is my next step?

Replies
  • David Kastendick
    3,236 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Aug 15, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to cookcorec

Try converting your document with OCR disabled.  I've seen this behavior occur a few times in the past, but never for any sort of consistent reason.  To disable OCR, turn off the 'Recognize text' option prior to converting your document.

You may also want to try deleting the black boxes.  It could be that they are artifacts from the original document the PDF was created from that don't actually serve a purpose.

-David

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,236 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Aug 16, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to cookcorec

Could you open the original PDF file and check File > Properties.  I'd like to know what it says next to 'Application' and 'PDF Producer'.  My guess is that it will say InDesign or Illustrator.

The black boxes are appearing behind text that has a black stroke and a drop-shadow applied to it in the authoring applicaiton.  Word isn't really capable of reproducing both of these effects without using WordArt.  I'm fairly positive that's what we're running into here.

-David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points