Skip navigation
thersher
Currently Being Moderated

Join a line and circle

Aug 15, 2012 8:48 PM

I'm trying to recreate a logo and I want to join a line and circle, so that the outer circle is merged with the top line, as in the figure below. All the pathfinder tools don't give me what I'm after, I know there's got to be a simple way to do this, but I'm stuck.

How can I accomplish this?

Thumb1 002.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 10:31 PM   in reply to thersher

Use the "Shape Builder" tool and delete the bottom portion of the circle and the intersecting line, by holding "option" as you click on those areas.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to thersher

thersher,

Or, especially if you have a version without Shape Builder, one (other) way is to (Smart Guides are your friends):

1) Create the circle,

2) Create the line,

3) With the lien still selected, with Scissors Tool cut the line where Smart Guides say intersect, and delete the superfluous part,

4) Repeat 3) for the circle,

5) With the Direct Selection Tool select each of the two sets of coinciding end points and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to thersher

Thersher,

Jacob's steps are great. Here are some visuals to go along with his instructions.

1) Create the circle. I also made a guide to make everything easier for me.

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.10.49 AM.jpg

2) Create the line.

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.11.50 AM.jpg

3) Select the circle and use the Scissors tool to cut the circle at the two intersection points.

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.12.10 AM.jpg

4) Delete the unwanted segment.

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.12.17 AM.jpg

5) Do the same for the unwanted portion of the line.

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.18.28 AM.jpg

6) Direct Select each of the two pairs of end points and Join them with Ctrl/Cmd+J.

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.18.37 AM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to thersher

Draw the line and circle with Strokes only. Select both; go to Object > Path > Outline Stroke. Select all, go to the Pathfinder and select Divide. With the Direct Select tool, select and delete the sections you don't need. Then select all, go to Pathfinder and select Unite. You're left with one shape.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to thersher

rcraighead has the easiest and probably the most efficient way however it is not complete in that once you ave eliminate the cord and the line segment to make the opening they will be three separate paths two straight lines on either side of the circular arc.

You then have to select it all and then use command  or control J to join the three paths as one then you will have what you wish.

The shape builder is very cool in case you do not have  version that has this tool.

Before you sue the join command

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 4.47.43 PM.png

After you use the join command

Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 4.48.03 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers