Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

font drop down list disappears

Aug 16, 2012 1:36 PM

why does this happen? It was happening in CS5 and I was hoping the problem would go away with CS6. Are there some font types which would cause this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

You have a corrupt font, or font cache.  Close down some fonts, and rebuild your font cache.

Try turning off font preview, until you can resolve this.

Screen shot 2012-08-16 at 4.06.52 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Select all your open fonts in font book

File >> validate fonts

You can still preview fonts in font book, even though they are not open, just ctrl click on them and choose disable to grey them out. Your apps will boot much faster, and you will have fewer problems if you can disable the fonts you do not use often.

Since now I know you are on mac, you can find all your .lst files and delete them to clean up your font cache.

If you want to clean/speed up your fonts even more remove the foreign language fonts using the free monolingual utilty. Drive Genius 3 is a commercial app, but does a fantastic job of removing GB's of hidden foreign language files and libraries using the drive slim feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to Marcy McGuire

Sure my pleasure to help.

If you ever get suitcase in the future, the secret is to disable all your fonts in fontbook, and let suitcase manage all your fonts. Fontbook is a great utility, just gets hard/slow to use with large font llibraries.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points