Skip navigation
korgman1258
Currently Being Moderated

What did they do in post processing to get this effect?

Aug 16, 2012 12:42 PM

Tags: #image #cs5.5 #how_do_i #post_processing

Hello,

Can anyone please let me know what post processing they did to this photo to get this effect?

Thank you very much.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49570868@N05/7795414518/in/photostream

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to korgman1258

What effect?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to korgman1258

Effect?  It just looks like a well-executed, natural-looking photo shot with a good wide angle lens to me.  Indeed it's very nice.

At one time I might have said they did noise reduction and maybe some HDR work, but with modern gear and great converters like Camera Raw (especiually considering the current set of adjustment abilities), it's not inconceivable to get an image like that right out of a raw file.  Landscapes often benefit from increased color saturation, and I can imagine the Clarity control might have helped make the air just seem very clear.  It's possible they cloned- (or spot-healed-) out any little bits of debris visible to give the image a very clean feel.

It's also sharpened nicely for web presenetation.  There's even a lot of detail in the 2048 pixel version, though at that size you start to see sharpening halos.

Clear, wide angle landscapes with light reflections, not to mention pretty clouds and all the colors of the spectrum, can be very nice indeed, as this shot underscores.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to korgman1258

Agree with the last two posts, doubt if there was any post processing involved, however, they image maker did a great job with in-camera exposure, with the details in both highlights and especially the shadows - even though they could be adjusted in post, it always better to get exposure right from the get-go. Also the composition and angle is great, and the absence of lens flare shows the picture was well composed and thought out - the essentials for a really good image.

But one post technique could be applied here and that would be to apply a slight graduated filter to drop the highlight values and give a littel more punch to the clouds - but why bother this is a great image

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

Very well done in the taking. I might use a couple of ACR tricks to see what happens. Might lighten up the shadowed area to bring out the boat reflection a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

I guess I'm inserting an image here, this doesn't seem to be the same procedure as before. Anyway I used ACR to push the clariity 100% and bring up the reflections.  Couldn't really justify anything else.

boat image clarity 100.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points