Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

facing pages

Aug 16, 2012 2:44 PM

Hi

If I am going to layout a book, which I know needs to be set up in printer spreads...to accomplish this, I just select 'facing pages' when setting up in InDesign? Is that correct?

But when I lay it out, the pages really would come out as 'reader spreads' by way of threading, right? So, when exporting as press-ready what settings do I need to access in InDesign for the pages to automatically switch round properly for the printer?

Thanks for the refresher!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to r_tist

r_tist wrote:

If I am going to layout a book, which I know needs to be set up in printer spreads...to accomplish this, I just select 'facing pages' when setting up in InDesign? Is that correct?

Yes.

But when I lay it out, the pages really would come out as 'reader spreads' by way of threading, right? So, when exporting as press-ready what settings do I need to access in InDesign for the pages to automatically switch round properly for the printer?

You don’t worry about this. Ask your printer what export preset to use, or they might provide one for you to use. Whichever you do, export with bleed and marks as required by the printer with spreads off. The printer will impose the pages into the proper signatures.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to r_tist

You design as Facing Pages.

You properly define bleeds if needed, and ask the technique here if you have an object spanning two pages.

The printer will impose your exported pdf document.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to r_tist

If the cover is a different size  (like on a hardcover book) or includes a spine I would make the cover a separate file. The spine can be tricky because younger not initially know the width of the spine as it is a function of page count, paper used, and binding method.

S c o t t   F a l k n e r

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to Scott Falkner

Scott, your phone numbers are showing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to r_tist

Covers should also be a separate file if they will be printed separately (color cover on a B&W book, or on differnt stock, for example).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to Michael Gianino

Michael Gianino wrote:

Scott, your phone numbers are showing.

Yeah. Replied by email because stupid forum won’t work on my phone. Forgot to delete sig. Thanks (guessing) Peter.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Scott Falkner

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers