Skip navigation
ChreaNify
Currently Being Moderated

Strokes won't stay inside artboard

Aug 17, 2012 3:04 AM

Hi I'm trying to follow a tutorial from vector.tutsplus.com: http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/text-effects/create-a-vibrant-3d- pixel-type-treatment/comment-page-2/#comments the problem I'm having is after step 19. The strokes you add won't stay inside the picture/artboard. I have tried to export the image to jpg. but it doesn't go away.

Hope you guys can help me

Unavngivet.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to ChreaNify

first give the dashed stroke circle path a 20% transparency

Draw another rectangle the size of your document, to help visualize what you are doing give it no fill and nostroke

place it above the circle and the gradient fill rectangle but under the text art.

select the new rectangle and the circle and the gradient filled rectangle and make a clipping path Command 7 (Mac) or Conrol 7 (PC)

yes you are correct it is not in the tutorial?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to ChreaNify

ChreaNify,

I believe the instructions should have told you to place the ellipse in front of the radial gradient and behind the letters, and then reduce its opacity.

With that interpretation there will be rays outside the rectangle, visible on a coloured background.

In order to get rid of them, additional steps are needed, such as a Clipping Mask on top, with the size and position of the rectangle.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I believe the tutorial author assunes you know this

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.13.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.13.21 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I am  going to give you another waay of doing this so that it looks like and acts like the tutorial.

after you draw the rectangle and fill it with a gradient go to the toolbar or tool panel

with the rectangle selected near the bottom of the Toolbar is the drawing modes icons select Draw Inside

Now you can make your circle (no need to restack it behind the text art it will be inside the rectangle which is behind the text art already.

then apply the stroke and give it the transparency settings. Notice the dashed corner marks around the rectangle in the screen shot that that indicates the rectangle is set to either draw Inside or draw behind.

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.27.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.26.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.26.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.26.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.17.36 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to ChreaNify

You're welcome!

|
    Mark as: