I had a 1309 error updating Adobe Reader, so following Adobe's suggestion, I uninstalled & attempted to reinstall. Now the 1309 error points to c:\Config\Config.Msi\126577.rbf needing permission. Sounds questionable to me. Is this right? And if it is right, Who do I give permission to & What permissions?
I have Windows Vista
Adobe Reader version 10.1.4
I disabled all of my anti-virus programs and still cannot update. It still gave me an error "Cannot contact reliable source". I have tried many times still failed.
Am I the only have this problem?
Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated. Thank you.
I would try removing older versions of Reader with the Acrobat and Reader Cleanup Tool,
Then you can download the desired offline installer for the version of Reader that you want from here:
I tried 3 times to download, first from Adobe notification of an update, then once more as an update from adobe.com (using Mozilla with Adblock & Ghoastery), finally I uninstalled version 10.1.3 and tried to download version 10.1.4 (using Internet Explorer, no Adblock or anything similiar) at adobe.com. Two times asked for permission to different files with the 1309 error, last error I did not write down, but was 14xx.
Next I did a system restore to 3 days prior, reinstalled current updates to Windows Vista. Using IE I tried the full download of version 10.1.3 from hippofile.com, which worked.
I don't want to try the update again until it gets fixed. I spent almost 7 hours on this and am concerned about turning off virus software to get the update to work.
I am hoping my question to Adobe will provide a solution. Thank you for your time & assistance.
This morning I received a notification from ADOBE telling me that the Adobe Reader had been successfully updated to 10.1.4 and asked me to restart. I do believe there's something wrong with the Adobe Reader installer in Adobe site. To answer your question, I updated my Reader via Adobe website directly. I have done that several times, with Firefox and IE both. All those times were failed.
Now my Reader is up-to-date. Maybe someone at Adobe can check the installer in their site to see if there's a problem with it.
sjdorn -- Our situation might be a little bit different. I didn't see the notification of an update. The notification I received told me that my Reader "had been updated" and asked me to restart. Usually, I don't allow any programs to auto-update without notifying me first, e.g. Adobe Flash and Adobe Shockwave Player, which I asked to be notified instead of auto-update. But it seems Reader does not have that option, maybe that's why it auto-updated mine overnight.
silkphoenix, I believe our situations may be the same. I don't recall how I set the request for notification prior to install, but that is my policy for software & OS updates, except for virus updates.
BTW my workplace desktop also failed to install the Adobe Reader update recently.
Your success gives me hope that Adobe fixed the issue. Will retry when I can. Thank for the info!
Europe, Middle East and Africa