Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Media Encoder keeps updating to 4.2.0.  Why?

Feb 9, 2010 7:52 AM

I am constantly getting a message that an update for Adobe Media Encoder is available.  I have version 4.2.0, and the update updates the software to 4.2.0.  This has been going on for weeks.  Installing the update does not help.  Is this happening to anyone else?

J. D.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2010 2:31 PM   in reply to jdmack01

Same thing has been happening to me.  I've just been ignoring it.  No clue what the cause is.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2010 8:26 AM   in reply to D_Arislan

I am having a similar problem. Adobe CS4 apps installed on Windows 7 Ultimate. All my other CS4 apps are up to date through Adobe Updater. AME version 4.0.0.374 however keeps reporting that there is an update available. If I let it download and install the update, it does so and is successful, but on relaunching AME, it is the same story. If I manually download the update and install the update, same thing. Uninstalled Premiere, ran Cleanup, reinstalled. Same thing. Any ideas? AME works fine, but I'd like to keep it up to date.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 12:23 AM   in reply to jdmack01

Same thing here. I see it is pretty old post but still no answer from Adobe... sad.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 6:57 AM   in reply to jdmack01

Something to try...

Download the update file(s) and install manually (if more than one, they need to be downloaded and installed in number order)

There have been some reports that various computer security settings won't let the automatic process complete successfully

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 6:48 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Heh, as I read naartjie gello post, it is not working. But I'll try it and myself then...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 12:03 AM   in reply to jdmack01

I tried the manual download and update and it told me that it could not update. My Media Encoder is already Version 4.2.0 but it still keeps wanting to update to that version. Please help Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 12:55 AM   in reply to jdmack01

Yea, the same thing here...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 10:36 PM   in reply to jdmack01

Same here. Wish they had fixed this issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to eliot1785

>Wish they had fixed

Since current is CS6, don't hold your breath waiting for any more updates to CS4

One other thing to try... right click the program icon and select "Run as Administrator" to start the program... I know that Win7 permissions are sometimes "odd" and that fixes some problems, so it may (or, may not) do the same for CS4

Then, when the program updates, it MIGHT work to then not update again

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to John T Smith

I know that current is CS6, but it would be nice if they'd release basic bug fixes. This is just a minor bug, but there were more serious ones in Dreamweaver CS4 that went unaddressed even when that was recently released. It is somewhat frustrating when we spend thousands of dollars for the software.

I am running Windows XP Pro as an administrator, so I don't think that that's the issue. Just going to ignore it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to zeromile

I believe I have the same issue, but using Mac OS X 10.6.8. I have limited bandwidth each month through Verizon. Repeatedly downloading 100.5 MB updates (especially unnecessary ones) isn't just an inconvenience, it's costly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 2:25 AM   in reply to JMRodenbeck

Have you tried to turn off automatic updates? If you haven't that is what I'd recommend because they aren't going to update cs4 anymore anyways. Here are the instructions on how to do so. Even  though the adobe link is for cs3 it should work the same for cs4 the other two articles show basically the same method and they are for cs4 so if you turn off auto updates you guys should be fine.

To Change the Adobe Updater preferences, do the following:

1. Start the AdobeUpdater.exe application from ...\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater 6
    2. When the update screen appears, click the Preferences button
    3. Uncheck the Automatically Check for updates checkbox and click OK

Here is the site where I got it from

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/disable-automatic-check-updat es-cs3.html

http://www.jeffreysward.com/editorials/daaucs4.htmhttp://www.ehow.com/how_8073850_disable-updates-adobe-cs4-xp.html 

http://www.jeffreysward.com/editorials/daaucs4.htm

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points