Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Get SD PAL render files from a Bluray project

Aug 16, 2012 7:59 PM

I've completed a Bluray project with 3 sequences in Premiere CS5.0.  The output to Bluray disc through Encore CS5 went well.  I now want to send a SD PAL DVD to a friend in Africa, and hoped (incorrectly) that I could just render the sequences with the appropriate PAL setting and use Encore again with PAL specified.  Files were rendered, but Encore rejects them as being an unacceptabe aspect ratio.

What is the simplest procedure to get a PAL format disc of my project?  I am willing to accept either top/bottom letterbox or truncation of the left/right sides of the frames to get the 16:9 aspect ratio into 4:3 or whatever PAL wants.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to imagex ideas

Use an MPEG2-DVD preset appropriate for your material.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:36 AM   in reply to imagex ideas

To downsize 1920x1080 to PAL widescreen DVD you need to add a 13px crop to the top and bottom of the frames in media encoder.  You do this in the source tab.  Once you've done this create yourself a preset so you don't have to do it over and over again!

We do this for every project we produce from HD to DVD in PAL.

BTW - it's a very good idea to have a CUDA card (with max quality enabled) for the downscaling because it produces MUCH better results (and it's also alot quicker).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Best not to use odd numbers but 12 and 14 for cropping otherwise you can get field issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

These are the numbers I found recommeded on Adobe's site and have worked perfectly for me.  OTOH I always export progressive too

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:29 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Can you point me to that site.

I use to recommend the odd number, think there is even a screendump floating around on these forums, but corrected that now.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann, I would have to go hunting for it because it's so long ago now.   Once I had a setting that worked I never changed it.

In the end it's al the same..... 13+13 or 12+14 means you need to crop 26 pixels from the height of the frame in order to get the correct PAR for PAL widescreen DVDs.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to ExactImage

I got the tip from an Adobe Engineer over at the AME forum...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to imagex ideas

Encore won't use them in a PAL DVD claiming they have an unacceptable aspect ratio.

Best guess here is that you didn't have the Encore project set up for PAL, but for NTSC.

The cropping mentioned by others will eliminate the very tiny black bars you get from scaling HD down to SD, but has no bearing on the larger issue of Encore using the files.  With or without the cropping, they'll still come out at 720 x 576, which is what PAL DVDs require.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to imagex ideas

that time is the first frame of the second sequence I put on the timeline

Don't do that.  Even though Encore allows it, things just work better with one video asset per timeline.  If you need both videos in one timeline, then export them out of PP as one.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to imagex ideas

imagex ideas wrote:

However, if I look at the three sequences on the monitor in Encore, the first sequence has very narrow black bars on left and right, while the other two are widescreen aspect ratio surrounded on all four sides by wide black bars.

This is because you have the pixel aspect ratio wrong.  Did you crop as I (or Ann) suggested above?    The ONLY time you see black bars on the side is when you forgot to crop correctly.

As Jim said, Encore will work better with one asset per sequence, but I've used more than one myself on several occasions and had it work perfectly, while other times I've seen unexplainable 'gaps' (delays) when it transitions from one to the other on playback, so I don't do it any more.

It really does sound like you may need to look at your cropping again though....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to ExactImage

Cropping will only affect what you see in the frame, but won't change any specs of the file itself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points