Skip navigation
unegomme
Currently Being Moderated

Text color over transparent graphics and in on-screen display of PDFs 'printed' from InDesign

Aug 16, 2012 6:17 PM

Tags: #pdf #transparency #type_color

Hello, All!

I'm new here and am having trouble with color in InDesign CS3.  The attached collage of screenshots explains both parts of the problem:  putting a graphic under type prevents me from having the purple type I want—and, when I make a PDF from that InDesign document, all the right purple (even the stuff with no graphics beneath it) is converted to the wrong purple.  (Ignore the statement about zoom factors; it was explanation for a friend.)  It seems almost incredible that there's no way to avoid this problem, but my searches for the solution have been fruitless so far.  (I'm admittedly a novice in some aspects of InDesign.)

Public 2012-08-15 c1530EDT.png

Although I may eventually print the document on actual paper, with just an inkjet printer, I'm not quite as concerned about the color there.  Just having the proper purple in the on-screen display of a PDF would be quite an improvement over the present roadblock.

Thanks to anyone who can help:  you surely know more than I about such things.

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 17, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to unegomme

If your document's destination is not an offset press set your Transparency Blend Space to RGB. The purple you are specing is not in the CMYK color gamut.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 17, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to unegomme

Just to note, an RGB Transparency Blend space is not usually appropriate for a press workflow—your out-of-gamut purple will eventually be brought into gamut on press no matter what blend space is used. Also any black text will output as 4-color, which is often a problem on press.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to unegomme

On press spot colors are fine (they converted to CMYK on digital printers), but to use one you need to define a color as spot -- usually best to pick a swatch from one of the standard spot color libraries -- and then apply it to the text in question. If you don't tell ID that soomthing is a spot color there is now way the program is going to read your mind.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 17, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to unegomme

but never could escape that muddy purple until I followed your suggestion about the Transparency Blend Space.

A spot color will not be previewed inside the CMYK gamut when the blend space is CMYK if it's defined as Lab and Overprint or Separation Preview is turned on. In CS6 Pantone Solid Spot colors are automatically defined as lab. In earlier versions you may have to turn on Use Lab... in Ink Manager.

Here my blend space is CMYK:

Screen-shot-2012-08-17-at-11.56.28-AM.png

Overprint off:

Screen shot 2012-08-17 at 12.04.16 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 17, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to unegomme

2.  Second part (on-screen display of the PDF):  When making the PDF from InDesign's "Print" dialog box, go to the "Output" 'tab' and, under "Color", choose "Composite RGB".

The PDF/X-4 preset lets you export a spot color document unchange—you won't loose the spot and CMYK values and it will preview without clipping:

Screen shot 2012-08-17 at 12.24.45 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points