Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Smart Object Not Opening in Camera RAW in CS6

Aug 17, 2012 10:49 AM

I've converted a JPEG to a Smart Object in CS6.  When I double-click on the Smart Object icon in the Layer, it opens as a separate JPEG file.  What do I need to do to get it to open in Camera RAW as Russel Brown does in this video?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to BigCPixelbender

Instead of opening the jpeg file first and then converting to a smart object, Do File>Open As>Camera Raw and when your done with processing the jpeg in camera raw press shift and then press Open Object.

Then double clicking on the smart object will open it back in camera raw.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to BigCPixelbender

It looks like all the files he's using are camera raw files and the one he double clicks had already been opened as a smart object.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to BigCPixelbender

Here's a script from Russell Brown called Edit Layers in ACR 1.1.5

http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts.html

Be sure to watch the video for instructions on it's use.

Though i guess it's meant more for 16 bit tifs and psd files, it does work for jpegs.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 17, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

I'm sure it not any layer the layer would most likely be a Jpeg or Tiff file and the users ACR preferences would also be set to open Jpeg and Tif files in ACR.  I sure if you read or view his documentation you will find that the embeded object is a Jpeg or Tiff file not a raster layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

I'm sure it not any layer the layer would most likely be a Jpeg or Tiff file and the users ACR preferences would also be set to open Jpeg and Tif files in ACR.  I sure if you read or view his documentation you will find that the embeded object is a Jpeg or Tiff file not a raster layer.

Every image in the video either can be seen to have .CR2 extension or RB tells us it's a Raw file. That includes the CR2 that's in a Smart Object.

By the way, a JPEG or TIFF can be forced to open in Camera Raw regardless of the Camera Raw file-opening preferences and regardless of whether it already has XMP metadata. In the Photoshop Open dialogue (of both File > Open... and File > Open As Smart Object...) pick the JPEG or TIFF then select Camera Raw in the Format dropdown. The file has to be picked before selecting Camera Raw, otherwise the Camera Raw file-opening preferences will determine whether Camera Raw will be invoked or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to conroy

JJMack might have been referring to the script and video that is on the script page i linked to.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Thanks! I missed that.

Yep, watching it now and JJ is correct - the video you linked features RB using TIFF.

Sorry, JJ!

Anyway, hopefully the info about force opening JPEG/TIFF in Camera Raw may be useful to someone.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 17, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly wrote:

JJMack might have been referring to the script and video that is on the script page i linked to.

I did not know about the script. I just knew that ACR can only work on Camera RAw Files and convert the camera sensor RAW data into RGB Images and use setting other then ones set into the camera,  ACR can also process Jpeg and Tiff files however Camers Sensor RAW data for thes images nolonger exists in the file. So ACR can not work on the images as well as it can when it has access to the Camera RAW data. 

I was somewhat wrong about not being able to edit normal layers in ACR this script sort of makes that posible. What it does is save information about the layers transparenct and layer mask save out the layer as a temp Tiff file and place it back in as a smart object and restor the best it can any layer mask and transparency.  You preferences must be set to open Tiff in ACR. While I was somewhat wrong I was bassicly right. The script turns the layer into a Temp Tiff file and places it back in the document as a smart object layer the embedded object is a Tiff file.  The temp Tiff file is nolonger needed for the smart object layer has a copy of it in its embedded object.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points