Skip navigation
scharger
Currently Being Moderated

How to put Access 2003 database on my Site

Aug 17, 2012 8:57 AM

How to put Access 2003 database on my Site

Hi,
I was wanting to upload my Access 2003 database to my site. Put forms on my site to have customers fill in and submit to my Access Database.

Programs using: Access 2003, and Dreamweaver CS4

Could I put my Access database file on Dreamweaver and upload to my site? Then in Access click save as: on a form >> to a Data Access page. And  in a nutshell put on Dreamweaver and upload to my site?

Thanx for your help,
Andrew

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to scharger

You can upload your Access datafile (.mdb) to the site.  But you will need to configure your site with a DataSourceName (ask your host about that), and this will ONLY work if you are hosted on a WINDOWS server, I believe - are you?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to scharger

So have you switched?  As I said, I think you need to be on a Windows server to use Access.  That would be the first step in this process.  Also, you'll need to be using ASP as well.

Is there a good reason why you want to use ASP/Access and not something more robust and contemporary like PHP/MySQL?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to scharger

You'll find that MS Access is hardly ever used on websites. It's OK for local use on a PC but that's about it.

MySQL databases and PHP webpages on Linux servers is far more common.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to scharger

Lots of reasons.

1. It's not robust-doesn't scale for more than a few simultaneous users
    2. It corrupts easily making it unreliable
    3. Needs Windows servers (Linux are more widely used)
    4. It's really a tool for PC users to start learning databases and most have MS Office installed (thus have access to Access). It's OK for that.
    5. It's a paid-for proprietary Microsoft product. The web is often averse to single vendor closed technologies.
    6. Lots more...

See http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/what-are-the-limitations-of-ms-ac cess.html

or Google "microsoft access limitations"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points