Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Windows 8 Release Preview/Photoshop CS6 Licensing issue

Jun 1, 2012 3:46 PM

I bought and installed Photoshop CS6 on Windows Consumer Preview and it worked flawlessly. I then installed Windows 8 Release Preview. This had to be a clean install. I didn't know I had to deactivate Photoshop before doing the clean install. Installed without a problem. Now when I try and run CS6 it says that the license has expired. I have done all the web and Adobe support told me to do but still has the same issue. Other than waht this article says: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-licensing-product-expir ed-cs4.html Adobe support isn't interested in helping.

Can anybody help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Pieter Pretorius

You are allowed 2 activated copies of PS.  Since you did not deactivate PS before wiping drive Adobe still consdiers it an activated copy.  If you have this installed on another machine also there in lies your problem.

We are just users here.  You would have to call Adobe Custormer Service and explain your situation.  They can give you a number to fix problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to Pieter Pretorius

Depends on if you have an activation problem becasue you have used up your 2 installs, or a Win8 problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Pieter Pretorius

how do you remove mention of cs6 out of your registry.  Im using windows 7, but having a similar problem with new install on new computer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 16, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to elbephoto

Elbephoto, you really do need to call Adobe customer support to resolve activation issues.  No amount of registry manipulation is going to work around having used up your activations.  They're very nice and really will help you.  Don't eMail, don't chat - CALL.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I’ve been on the phone with them for the past 7 days – probably 15 hours – they can’t figure it out.  I haven’t used up my activation.  It never remembers I’ve activated and 50% of the time I start Photoshop it asks if I want to continue the trial or register/buy software.  I put in my activation code – all is right – for a few minutes or hours and then it reverts back to the trail.

They are very nice – but haven’t been able to resolve issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 17, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to elbephoto

I do know there's at least one person on this forum who is using Windows 8 (Kelly is I believe his name) and has gotten Photoshop activated properly.

I've been testing Windows 8 for the past several days (in virtual machines).  Microsoft has actually made it worse to use in the release version.  They've completely removed Aero Glass, for example, so now everything just looks flat and lifeless.  I've written a book that describes how to configure and augment the OS so as to get work done with it.  But I'm not sure people are going to want to upgrade to it wiith it looking this bad!

Have you tried removing Photoshop CS6 and using the Creative Suite Removal Tool to clean remnants of it up, then reinstalling?  I'm sure the telephone support people would have suggested that; I'm just confirming.

Only thing I can imagine is that Windows 8's UAC system is somehow getting in the way of Photoshop retaining its activation data.  It's no longer possible, using the Windows 8 UI, to completely disable UAC, though it is still possible to do it through registry manipulation (something best done by power users and system gurus).  If one does apps will no longer run in the "UI formerly known as Metro" - which suits me fine, but may not be good for most folks.

Have you tried running the installer As Administrator?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When Apple released Mountain Lion a raft of problems in Adobe applications was launched.  Just judging from the PS and Bridge forums they are still trying to get things to work.  Not a computer geek but it appears that Mountain Lion was designed to work well with mobile units like iphone and ipad with less consideration given to a real computer.

It appears that MS is also going this same route.  Since desktops are entering the "minority" I feel we are in trouble.  The current concept is to make the OS work with phones and other mobile units, make it simple to use, with touch screens to get rid of the nasty mouse. 

I am bracing for the blizzard of problems "just installed Win 8 and can't get ------- to work". 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

...  it appears that Mountain Lion was designed to work well with mobile units like iphone and ipad with less consideration given to a real computer ...

iPhone and iPad use an operating system called iOS.

Mountain Lion is the newest version of OS X and it runs only on a "real computer" like a Mac desktop or laptop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 17, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to conroy

I think Curt's making the point that Apple is growing them together, making the transition more evolutionary than revolutionary.  Microsoft is trying to leapfrog them by jumping all at once to an OS that's not good for much of anything useful.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, I understand where Curt got the wrong impression that Mountain Lion is for iPads and iPhones as well as Macs, but it seemed best to let him know the facts.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to conroy

Read in the media where Mountain Lion has adopted many of the features/commands of the iPhone and Pads.  So it seems from an outside view they are trying to blend.  As with any product where they try to cater to many different uses (one size fits all)  it never seems to measure up with products made specifically to do one job.

Not a jab at Apple, just "progress", or as I call in "regress".

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I'm starting to regret trying to help.

You said, "... it appears that Mountain Lion was designed to work well with mobile units like iphone and ipad with less consideration given to a real computer... ".

I thought I was being helpful by letting you know that Mountain Lion is not designed for iPhone and iPad at all.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points