Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PGI-5 BK not being used?

Aug 17, 2012 11:01 AM

Hi Everyone.

I'm printing from ID CS4 to a Canon Pixma MP830 inkjet. After printing more than a dozen 42-page documents, I noticed that one of the two black cartridges, the larger PGI-5 BK, was not decreasing in its resevoir. Meanwhile, the smaller black CLI-8 BK was being consumed.

Is this because my print profile is RGB instead of CMYK - or another reason?

I have my Canon Color/Intensity preferences set to Manual>Auto (not Photo, Graphic, or None). I have Media Type set to Photo Paper Plus Double Sided & using HP Brochure Glossy paper, 48 lb. My document contains both hi-res photos and graphics.

Thanks for helping out. It's killing me not seeing the most economical of the cartidges being consumed. This one is just a little too tricky for me to figure out and I can't seem to find a Canon forum for this question.

Paul

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 17, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Paul Stark

It looks to me like your printer uses a different (pigmented) black for  text only pages, and a dye black for color images.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Paul Stark

But you told it its using Photo Paper which is probably enough to use only the one catridge.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,123 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Aug 17, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Paul Stark

Pigmented inks don't usually work well on coated papers, so it's propably there for plain paper printing like a FAX

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points