Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

[Consolidation-Locked] D800 Tethering

Oct 18, 2012 4:33 PM

Tags: #canon #tethering #5d #iii #lightroom4.1 #d800 #lr4.1 #d800e

Geeeeez! Adobe has gotten too big headed. Professionals need tethering for the new Canon and Nikon cameras and they have not provided it.  Get you heads out of the toilet guys, give us a Tethering update for LR4.1 and please have it NOT crash or freeze.

Is it time to change to another software?  I think I'll look at Phase One or Capture One, as I hear its better software and they have great customer support.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to Image Zone Photography

This is a user-to-user forum. If you want to complain to Adobe, use their official bug-reporting and suggestions site:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Image Zone Photography

Image Zone Photography wrote:

Is it time to change to another software?  I think I'll look at Phase One or Capture One, as I hear its better software and they have great customer support.

yes... please!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Hal P Anderson wrote:

This is a user-to-user forum. If you want to complain to Adobe, use their official bug-reporting and suggestions site:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Hal

Why bother? ... so few users venture forth there ... and when you do voice a concern it's the same "Users" that frequent here offering the identical short-sighted copy and paste excuses as to why it takes so long to offer support for tethering ... and that is after they blame the folks complaining for buying an unsupported camera in the first place ... there are extremely few Adobe employees participating and it is very seldom that they offer solutions or insight ...

Apparently Adobe (like all other software developers) have absolutely no problem with early adoption of their own wares ... but it is caveat emptor if you buy a camera shortly after it is introduced ... you can't have it both ways ... expecting everyone to buy your product as soon as it hits the market ... then holding those very same users hostage until you feel it's time to offer support for new cameras ...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch,

By your own logic (or mine, for that matter ), why are you bothering to complain here?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Butch_M

if your so unhappy with adobe... vote with your money butch.

there is always raw therapee and gimp.... i guess two perfect applications.

i think adobe could do more frequent updates... but complaining in this forum about the update strategy from adobe will not help.

i learned that myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Hal P Anderson wrote:

Butch,

By your own logic (or mine, for that matter ), why are you bothering to complain here?

Hal

Maybe it's because of the Hypocrisy that is so blatant here .... that so many will defend the lack of support for specific features that they don't use themselves and spend so much effort to defend the indefensible ...

I bought into the Lightroom paradigm beacuse I believed Adobe had my best interests at heart ... only to discover that they will deliver out support as they deem fitting  ... which is no better than a casual aquaintance ... not a true partner in a shared endeavor ...

I have been a staunch supporter of Lightroom and user since the very first public beta offering ... you know ... back when it was Mac only ... I was sucked in ... hook ... line ... and sinker ... from Day One ...

Now only to discover ... Adobe will only support my efforts ... when it is convenient for them ...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:40 PM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

-Agfaclack- wrote:

if your so unhappy with adobe... vote with your money butch.

there is always raw therapee and gimp.... i guess two perfect applications.

i think adobe could do more frequent updates... but complaining in this forum about the update strategy from adobe will not help.

i learned that myself.

I'm not unhappy so much with Adobe's offerings as much as I am unhappy with their efforts to offer support in a more timely fashion ... I haven't yet purchased the upgrade to Lr 4.1 ... and I am not likely to do so until they live up to those expectations ...

For now, I can get by with using Aperture 3 for tethering support ... But I must admit ... I had much higher expectations for Adobe in having my back in such efforts ...

I thought my hard earned dollars meant more to them ...  I thought what I have spent with them over the past couple of decades meant more than a casual expenditure ...

If I didn't want Lr to live up to it's promise, or expect it to be my primary RAW workflow solution ... I would not venture here to voice my displeasure when it doesn't meet my needs ...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

I am posting this on the Nikon forum because Adobe is NOT supporting the Nikon D4 or D800 with tethered capture in LR and I am letting people know they need to start using other software as Adobe is neglecting their customer's needs.  They will probably have an announcement for the Nikon support being added AND will probably want $50.00 to download it. In one of their posts about capture they said the SDK was not available and doubt that it will be offered and If you wanted the capture feature , you should VOTE and ask for it but it's not  in current works!  The Nikon SDK is and has been available for months.  I have complained to Adobe, have YOU?

If you want D4 and D800 Camera control and tethered capture software check out, www.ControlMyNikon.com .  Sorry for PC users only.  Apple/Mac  release expected late 2012. Currently Aperture supports Nikon D4 and D800 cameras and tethered capture.

Note: I have no affiliation with Control My Nikon and have not been asked to promote their software nor am I being paid to do so.  I just believe its good software and a great value at $29.95. Check it out you won't be sorry.  Also on YouTube, "ControlMyNikon V4.0 - What's New." Watch the video.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 3:37 AM   in reply to Butch_M

It was already pointed out in yet another bloody thread about D800 tethering, that this is an issue caused entirely by Lr's "point release" timing, and the release by Nikon and Canon of the necessary SDKs, not synchronising.

(I'm emphasising this so that nobody can fail to see and understand it).

Adobe is at the whim of the camera manufacturers here, and - seriously - why on earth should it even consider bringing forward the timing of a point release just to pander to the small but extremely vocal minority that need tethering support on their new cameras?

If the OP of this redundant thread had bothered to make the effort to search for the previous discussions, he'd have known why tethering isn't available yet, and why whining about it anew isn't likely to change the underlying situation...

(Oh, and as a long-time Capture One user: "better software"? Hah!)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 3:35 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch_M wrote:

Maybe it's because of the Hypocrisy that is so blatant here ...

"Hypocrisy" to be satisfied with Lr?

What a twisted world view that is.

It's the fault of nobody here that Lr and your camera don't play well together, and if it's "hypocritical" to be sick of the utterly pointless whining about it,  and "hypocritcal" not to care because not all of us have the same problem, then fine - bunch of hypocrites here.

And none of that changes a damn' thing. Your precious tethering will be here when it's here.

How on earth did anyone manage before tethering? Seems to me a "pro" would spend less time whining and more time finding other solutions...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to RFranko

RFranko wrote:They will probably have an announcement for the Nikon support being added AND will probably want $50.00 to download it.

yeah sure.. because they have done that so often in the past. LOL

it will come in a point release for free as always... get a clue what you are talkling about.

that so many will defend the lack of support for specific features that they don't use themselves and spend so much effort to defend the indefensible

most wrote : complaining about this issue is useless in THIS forum.

i think all customers would be happy about faster updates, instant new camera support in LR or other software.

but most here in this forum have no influence on what adobe does.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

We’ll see.  If you don’t grow a grey beard in the mean time, and new camera models supersede the current models. Adobe should have been ahead of the game.  They try to blame Nikon and Canon.  That is political BS.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 12:37 AM   in reply to RFranko

If you are all professionals and must have tethering, why don't you buy Nikon's Camera Control Pro? It's been out since the cameras were released, and if you can afford the cameras, you can afford the software!

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to bob frost

Maybe ... just maybe, a few Lightroom users bought the app because it is sold with the claim of a tethering feature so they wouldn't have use multiple apps to get the job done. Maybe, some users feel Adobe should live up to their obligations with more timely support.

It has absolutely nothing to do with affordability or the availability of other tethering options ... they do exist ... and many who find the lack of timely spport is a problem are seeking other options ... many have stated as much here in this and other forums. Would you be of the same mindset and so forgiving if support came so slowly for a Lightroom feature you hold near and dear to your workflow?

Lightroom has always been marketed as a centerpiece for a complete (at least nearly complete) RAW workflow solution ... what good is that solution if all it does is create further effort and more work and/or expense for the end user? ... Wouldn't it be more wise and beneficial to Adobe's bottom line, not to mention bolstering customer satififaction for ALL their users, to not risk their users seeking out the options available from their competitors?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 3:22 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Lightroom has a tethering feature for a FEW cameras - currently only 29 out of the hundreds of cameras that LR supports otherwise. It normally takes at least one dot release for a new camera to be supported in normal mode, and the vast majority of cameras are never going to be supported for tethering (unless Adobe changes its policy). Presumably Adobe don't think it is worth the engineering time to support tethering for all cameras as you would like. They do tell you which ones are suppported normally, and which ones are supported for tethering. Of course a lot of people don't read the details before they rush out and buy.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to bob frost

bob frost wrote:

Of course a lot of people don't read the details before they rush out and buy.

Indeed.

And then - having bought an unsupported camera - they expect Adobe to drop everything and abandon their long-standing release schedule in order to pander to their niche requirement for "expedited" tethering support (conveniently ignoring the part that the camera manufacturers play in the timing of delivery of tethering support) as if a lack of tethering support is a universal, show-stopping bug, rather than a "gadget" that most of us will never need; that is available by other means; and which presumably still works anyway with the previous cameras these people were using...

(I'm assuming that these "professionals" haven't offloaded their older, supported cameras - [comment removed by host])

But most importantly of all, anyone who chooses to use a new and unsupported camera for professional, paying work in the arrogant and utterly unreasonable belief that Adobe should dance to the beat of his drum, has only himself to blame if Adobe's well-known and long-standing point release strategy doesn't "fit".

Simple solution: wait until a camera is supported before you buy it. Not exactly rocket science, is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Actually, I think what it shows is that the quarterly release stategy isn't appropriate for a segment of Lightroom's market. Bug releases may fit such a schedule, but they shouldn't be entangled with camera support. Either Adobe has to find a way to trickle out tethering support on a more timely basis (eg Labs release, reliance on 3rd parties using the SDK), or affected users will just have to accept their niche status and find alternative approaches. But let's quit blaming those users....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Simple solution: wait until a camera is supported before you buy it. Not exactly rocket science, is it?

If life were only that simple ...

It is possible that some folks on this planet, other than yourself, may have been forced out of necessity to purchase a new camera. Should every buying decision be based upon Adobe's release schedule? Should the needs of each and every Lightroom user be based upon your opinion?

If a software developer on one hand insists that it will not offer backwards compatibility on RAW conversion for new camera image files forcing users to buy the most current version for direct compatibility ... then facilitate tethering support when it only pleases them ... I'm sorry, but commerce is a two way street. Especially when competitive options have made the feature available so much earlier in the process.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

No John, apparently this forum is primarily for a handful of like-minded individuals to spend their time in trivalizing, minimizing and otherwise ridiculing their fellow Lightroom users when they request what is deemed insignificant feature support ... Adobe is perfect and we should just accept whatever they dole out on whatever arbitrary shcedule is chosen.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Well, Butch, from time to time I'm as willing as any to show my impatience with those I find trivial! Here I feel that  D800 users have simply been very unlucky with the early timing of 4.1 and the camera's shipment, but there is an underlying problem with  quarterly updates and [comment removed by host]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

[comment edited by host]

Noted ...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to Butch_M

go out and start shooting...

and i agree with bob .... a pro should look at the tethering from brezze systems (for example).

as the LR tethering is not really up to professional standards anyway. for me it lacks too many features and that is why i bought DSLR Remote Pro.

lightrooms tethering is just a very basic tethering. a pro should have the money to buy better tethering software if he needs it THAT much.

http://www.breezesys.com/NKRemote/index.htm

before i bought dslr remote pro i used the eos utility for my canon cameras.

i let LR watch the folder the tethering program saves too and it works fine..... ok that´s 2 programs but it´s a workaround and way more flexible because the tethering software has more features.

Butch_M wrote:

No John, apparently this forum is primarily for a handful of like-minded individuals to spend their time in trivalizing, minimizing and otherwise ridiculing their fellow Lightroom users when they request what is deemed insignificant feature support ... Adobe is perfect and we should just accept whatever they dole out on whatever arbitrary shcedule is chosen.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

I believe that this topic has served its purpose and is now closed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Image Zone Photography

Tethered shooting with the Nikon D800 is now supported with Lightroom 4.2.

Please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4431233

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points