Skip navigation
DawnCreations
Currently Being Moderated

JP2 file cannot parse in Photoshop CS6

Aug 17, 2012 4:18 AM

I have recently upgraded to Photoshop CS6 on MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8 and need to open a JP2 file that is 2.11 GB. Photoshop throws out an error message "...the file format module cannot parse the file". Can anyone help? I would like to convert this file to a PSD file ideally.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to DawnCreations

JPEG 2000 is not widely suported.  Not sure how tightly the standard is enforced, so maybe you have a file that is a little odd.  Irfanview is a little looser in what it will open than PS so you might try it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to DawnCreations

Here is quote from Irranview FAQ

Q: Can I use IrfanView on Mac?

A: Yes, probably. There is no native-Mac version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Mac program like WineBottler/DARWINE. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Mac. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run.

Have you tried opening file in other Mac programs?  If you can open then use "save as" and convert or make new copy as JP2.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to DawnCreations

See if Preview will open it then save to a new file which Photoshop will open. You'll want to use a lossless format to avoid degrading the image. A resaved JPEG-2000 may do the trick, but three you could try are:

JPEG-2000, quality: lossless

PNG

TIFF, compression: LZW

I don't know the image dimension and file size limits of these formats.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to DawnCreations

Not sure how to go about it.  Do a web search for irhanview for mac.  There are several hits.

I see in one that many users like Preview.  If that says it is damaged then Irranview may give you the same results.

Do you have another computer that is not running Mt. Lion to try it on?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to DawnCreations

I would try a new download of the JP2 before considering downloading and installing a Windows emulator.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to DawnCreations

If you have multiple applications telling you the file is damaged/unreadable, then the file is probably damaged... This is not really surprising if you've downloaded a 2 GB image file from the internet. Redownload is the best option, especially if you can get something to help with the download, something that will verify the download once complete.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to DawnCreations

Did not notice this was a 2.11 gig file.  Maybe that is part of the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Curt Y

As far as I know, JPEG2K doesn't have a file size limit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to DawnCreations

Export a TIFF from ArcMap and open that with Photoshop.

I don't know how big your image is but I've opened a 70,000 by 70,000 pixel LZW-compressed TIFF with Photoshop CS6 on my Mac.

Your TIFF will save and open more quickly if it is uncompressed. However, substantial (and sometimes enormous) storage space reduction can be made by compression.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points