Skip navigation
peberger
Currently Being Moderated

Does Creative Cloud survive Mac "migration" to new computer?

Aug 17, 2012 12:09 AM

Tags: #uninstall_upgrade #migration_mac #new_computer_transfer

I plan to join Creative Cloud later this month, but also plan to upgrade my Mac Tower to a new one next Spring.  I will be using the built in "migration assistant" in the OSX to do a hard drive "brain transplant" from the old Mac Tower to the new one once I purchase it.  As I understand it, to make that work properly, I would need to deactivate ALL Creative Cloud programs first.  Would I also need to "uninstall" them?  Or should I deactivate them on the old machine, but then not transfer them at all to the new machine?  Then download them fresh on the new machine?  In the past, I have upgraded computers every four or five years, so assumming that the Creative Cloud is the way to go from here on out, this brain transplant needs to go smoothly, without counting as a "third copy" of the Creative Cloud apps.  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to peberger

Hi Peberger,

I've done the workflow you describe personally on my Macs. The deactivation is probably not critical but it definitely won't hurt and a good idea. Our licensing technology has improved in that if you attempt to activate on too many computers it now gives the end user an option to de-activate themselves versus having to call into support for assistance. I probably would also recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling on the new system. Reason being the installation of some products looks at the current system configuration when installing, using the migration assistant circumvents this occuring and could potentially cause issues. I'd also make sure your permissions are in order after the migration.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points