Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

relinking all files in a document...

Aug 17, 2012 2:18 PM

Hi all,

I'm running InDesign CS6 on Mac (Mountain Lion).  I am working off site from my office for a while, so I've copied all the files from our server onto my desktop.  All of the filenames, folders are identical to those on the server.

The problem is, when I take an InDesign file, all of the links are broken because it's trying to search the server.  Is there an easy way to relink all of the files in my document? 

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to gmannib

If you relink one of the files, InDesign will usually be able to find all of the other files. Have you tried relinking already and it didn't work?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to gmannib

it's probably too late now--but--if you open the files at your office and 'package' each one, then move the packaged files to your desktop--there would be no problems

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to gmannib

Did you search for a script…? I know Kasyan has several link scripts take a look here…

http://kasyan.ho.com.ua/scripts_by_categories.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to tman69

tman69 wrote:

it's probably too late now--but--if you open the files at your office and 'package' each one, then move the packaged files to your desktop--there would be no problems

That would work fine leaving the office, but it will set up a new copy of the file that links to assets in the links subfolder of the package folder, so they're no longer linked to the original locations when the file goes back to the office again, setting up a differnt problem, and probably worse.

ID would automatically find links if the originals were missing, and substitutes are present in the same folder or a subfolder of the folder where the .indd is stored, but it doesn't sound like the OP is using an asset organization that lends itself to that easily. You could run Package, then copy the packaged Links folder and the ORIGINAL .indd to a single folder at home, but as soon as you save the document after updating the links you've set up the same problem again back at the office. Is it actually necessary to bring the links up to date to work at home?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter--OP said

"I am working off site from my office for a while, so I've copied all the files from our server onto my desktop.  All of the filenames, folders are identical to those on the server. The problem is, when I take an InDesign file, all of the links are broken because it's trying to search the server"

how does this vary from my suggestion (packaging)--which, by the way, solves the OPs problem--returning the files to the 'server' creates problems regardless

am out

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to tman69

I interpret the OP to say he is recreating a file structure on his home workstation that matches the structure on the server, which may or may not be putting all the links into a single folder and putting that folder inthe same location as the .indd file (and I would have to say that since he's getting missing links that cannot be what is happening).

Packaging would, indeed, stop the missing link warning at home because that is the file structure that gets created inthe package folder. The problem is that the .indd file iin the package no longer has links to the original locations on the server, but to the new copies of the links in the package folder. Moving that file back to the server opens up the possibility that you now have two copies of all the linked assests and if they need to be updated the wrong ones will be modified or relinked at some point. This is a can of worms that I wouldn't want to open. You are quite correct, though, that whatever the OP does, if he relinks the files at home, he's setting up a missing link problem back in the office when he takes the file back.

I think the best course of action is to ignore the link warnings and just edit the text, but I don't know the scope of the work that needs to be done, nor if the files will ever be returned to the office or if they need to be output from home, all of which are important parts of the puzzle.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to gmannib

First thing to do is relink one of the files to the folder that contains all the intended links. Then select all the remaining items in the link palette (the ones with broken links), and click on the "Update Link" button (the last one on the right) at the bottom of the Links palette. InDesign CS6 will find all the remaining files at one time. Now, I'm not sure if this going to work if you have subfolders as well. But if all the items sit together in the same folder, on the same level, it definitely works.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points