Skip navigation
jmklein
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Mixed video formats in same sequence

Aug 17, 2012 7:40 PM

New user here, coming from 10 years of Pinnacle Studio.

I have at least 3 different video formats to edit in a single sequence/timeline (iPhone, 720 from a Sony point and shoot, and 1080i from a Canon video camera).  Depending on which format I use for the sequence, when I drag the videos to the main Video1 track, the audio will go to whatever track is appropriate for the mono or stereo.  The iPhone and Sony are both mono and will be on one track and the Canon is stereo so its audio jumps to a stereo track.

So my question is, am I to make all my audio adjustments on both mono and stereo audio tracks depending on where I am making the volume changes on the timeline.  In Pinnacle, the video and associated audio was always on the same track pair.  I was just wondering about workflow and the best way to make the audio adjustments.

My project typically is a year's worth of video footage from the 3 sources, making a Year In Review.  There will be soundtrack music from MP3's playing most of the time, with occasional original audio from the video being raised in volume for a few seconds, then fading back down to hear the soundtrack again.  Keeps the audience more engaged.

One more question, what format should my sequence match, the 1080 stereo Canon, 720 mono Sony, or mono iPhone.  The end result will be for viewing on widescreen big screen DVD or Blu-ray.  I would like to make the mono on both channels, and upscale to 1080.  Not sure the best way to do this.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to jmklein

Upscaling is generally a bad idea. You would probably be better off using a setting that matches your smallest frame size. That way you don't try to upscale and lose quality.

As for the audio, you can make your adjustments in the Master audio track. That takes care of all of your audio at one time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to jmklein

CS6 has a new feature called Adaptive Audio Tracks, which can handle both stereo and mono in the same track.  Check it out.

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/changes-in-audio-tracks-and-merg ed-clip-audio

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to jmklein

Oops. Sorry. That's correct.

So what I would do is nest the original sequence into new sequence, which puts all of the audio on one track. Add the music to the second track. Then just dip the audio on the first track.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to jmklein

Generally if I'm wanting to move or mess with individual clips audio and then have another clip fade in, I just use the effects control panel and keyframe them. If I want to effect everything on a track then I use the audio mixer controls for say adding a compressor or effect to a entire track. However I realize everyone has different ways of editing. But personally I would just cut the clip I was wanting to fade and throw a exponential fade effect on the end of it, however if you need more control I'd just keyframe it using the volume control on the effect controls panel.Then for fading in you can  fade in then use the constant gain effect however I realize sometimes it's better manually adjust things in certain circumstances using keyframes.

But for what you're talking about it sounds like it would be fairly easy just to use the constant gain and exponential fade effects by cutting the clips and using the two effects at the begging and end of each fade in and fade out. Then just adjusting the length of the effect to your own liking. So I think constant gain and exponential fade might be the easiest way to complete the task you wish to complete. The method Steve has mentioned would work great too though. Like I said there are many ways to complete the task.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to jmklein

Export out the main program using an MPEG2-DVD preset.  That will create an .m2v for the video and a .wav for the audio.

Then also export out a second .wav file for the original track.

Bring all into Encore as assets and author away.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to jmklein

then I have to pretty much wipe out what I have already done in Encore.

That works even for Dynamic Link.  Change anything in PP, even the audio, and you have to transcode the entire thing over again in Encore.

At least with separate assets, you only have to replace the one you changed.

Avoid Dynamic Link on this one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points