Skip navigation
JBJB1029
Currently Being Moderated

How can I replace a certain part of the Background for this Entire Shot?

Aug 17, 2012 5:24 PM

Tags: #after_effects_cs6

In this Shot here (Below):

Jurassic Park III 342_0001.jpg

I want to replace the entire Sky of this Scene with a picture of this Sky (Below):

2006_hurricanes_eyewall.jpg

So is there a way to do it The Fast Way, and not The Long Way?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 5:37 PM   in reply to JBJB1029

Umm, no. Aside from certain copyright issues going on here, how do you hope to do this "the fast way" on footage that is a) heavily compressed and b) has further reduced contrast due to (simulated) atmospheric haze? Some things simply require a lot of work. At most you can hope to use Rotobrush, but given the low quality of the footage it's gonna be one hell of a ragged edges nightmare and still require conventional masks to clean up the mess. Well, whatever. It's still gonna look fake - plopping on a clear sky on some hazy mountains just isn't "real".

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Mylenium said it all.  There's no "fast way".  If the shot is static, you'll need one fixed mask for the mountain line, then an animated mask for the elements that go past the mountain line.  It will require some tedious manual masking.  If you aim to get rid of the mountains as well it will be even harder.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to JBJB1029

Here's a tutorial on using masks at Creative Cow.

Here's a tutorial on rotoscoping at Creative Cow.

Here's a tour of the Rotobrush tool at Adobe TV.

If you're new to After Effects, I strongly suggest you start here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Whenever I need to create a matte I tend to look for the easiest solution first. In most cases involving the sky you can create what is called a procedural matte using the color channels, color controls and matte tools. It's called a procedural matte because we use a procedure instead of doing it by hand. In many cases the camera is also moving in the shot so some tracking may be required.

This tutorial shows how to use Set Channels and Colorama to create a luma matte and Mocha to track camera movement.

My technique for creating a matte from the sky is a little different. Take a close look at this screenshot. It demonstrates the creation of a procedural matte from your shot in under 5 minutes. The black solid is just a garbage matte for the foreground. Pre-compose this and use it as an alpha matte for your shot and you should be good to go.

Screen Shot 2012-08-18 at 10.11.54 AM.png

This recent post may also give you some ideas on background replacement and tracking.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points