Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

SVG handling

Aug 17, 2012 2:38 AM

Tags: #illustrator #bridge #preview #metadata

is it normal that Bridge don't generate thumbnails from SVG files ? and can't add xmp metadatas ?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to jmlg12

What exact OS and Photoshop version?

FWIW, I do get thumbnails and previews in Bridge CS4 and CS6 on my Mac.  I have SVG files set to open in (an old version of) Adobe Ilustrator (v.10,x).  Never tried to add any metadata to them.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to jmlg12

Maybe having Adobe Illustrator makes a difference in my case, I don't know.

As a matter of fact, Illustrator may have created and embedded the preview in them when I opened them.  Again not sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to jmlg12

jmlg12 wrote:

…Why it's not working in CS5 or 6 ?

I wish I could tell you, but as I said in post #1, it is working for me on my Mac in CS4 and in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 8:17 PM   in reply to jmlg12

I have never created an SVG file myself.  The ones I have all come from external sources.

All the vector files I have created myself over the last two decades I've generated in Adobe Illustrator and saved as AI files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to jmlg12

Here's an example of an SVG file displaying its Thumbnail and Preview in Bridge CS6.  Identical results are obtained in Bridge CS4 and Bridge CS5.

CS6_Bridge_svg_file.png

Control+click on thumbnail here to bring up contextual menu on Mac and go to full-size image on new tab or window.

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to jmlg12

There's something weird about SVG files, for sure.  That's why I always re-save them as ".ai" files.

Sorry I couldn't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to jmlg12

Don't go to great lengths, as it has occurred to me that there's a chance that the previews in the few SVG files I have may have been created when I opened them in Illustrator.

jmlg12 wrote:

…There are also some interesting features in SVG like display directly in a webbrowser, linked graphics with URL file path,etc...

That makes sense.  SInce I generally don't deal with the web, I had not given that any thought.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to jmlg12

There is a free extension for Windows (both 32bit and 64bit) to have SVG thumbnails in Windows Explorer. I know that you wasn't exactly looking for this, but I had the same problem with Bridge CS6 and that's the only workaround I found for Windows 8.

It's open-source, so someone might want to port it to Mac as well. You can download it from here: http://code.google.com/p/svg-explorer-extension/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to jmlg12

This has been a problem ever since CS4, and you're not alone. There are previous forum threads (with plenty of vitriol), such as here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/310560

It is bewildering - every web browser can view these fine, Illustrator can create them, but Bridge will not view them. It appears that it can view preview files the operating system has a associated with SVG's, but not a raw SVG files alone. Bridge used to have this functionality before CS4.

Can anyone reccomend graphic asset management software that does show SVG's? Apple iPhoto won't show them either, even though quickview and preview show them fine. There must be something out there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to TomT-shirts

Does anyone know of an answer to this problem?

I expected that Bridge CS6 (6.0.1.6 64 bit) on Win 7 would be able to view thumbnails of svg files... but it doesn't! Why not?

BTW, huge thanks to AndrasFuchs for the Windows svg thumbnails extention. This, at least, helps a huge amount. Now I don't need to open each .svg into AI to see it! Thank you.

http://code.google.com/p/svg-explorer-extension/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to jmlg12

Click the 'more options' button in the modal box that appears when you save as SVG, and make sure the Include XMP check box is ticked, and Bridge will give you previews for SVG files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to LibbieCCoulson

Libbie,

That assumes you're the one saving out the SVG's you need to browse. We're not.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to jmlg12

I'm also not able to see the thumbnail of SVG file in Bridge CC. It is really frustrating, I have tons of svg files sort through. agh...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to TomT-shirts

If you're on a Mac, Pixa is an image manager that handles SVG preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to TomT-shirts

I have both Mac and Windows.

Is that a plugin for bridge or it's individual software?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to Gohunter

It's a stand-alone image manager. It's cheap and good at SVG's, though.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points