Skip navigation
Molekula
Currently Being Moderated

After Mountain Lion upgrade Bridge CS5.1 crashes when opening any directory that contains .zip archi

Jul 26, 2012 1:01 AM

Tags: #bridge #crash #crashing #archive #zip #directory #mountain_lion

I have upgraded to Mountain Lion yesterday and now Bridge CS5.1 crashes every time when opening any directory that contains .zip archives.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Molekula

I installed Mountain Lion yesterday.  Now Bridge CS5 crashes before fully opening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to andy@usqProductions.com

Not a Mac guy but have seen comments that the new Apple OS have lots of conflicts with Adobe.

Both of you should drop a note to Apple as now there are 2 with similar problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Well, I don't know...It seems like it might be a hard issue to miss, and according to thie FAQ there's no issues found after extensive testing ( http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#lion-os ), so i thought there might be an easy fix.

Oddly, If I drag the Bridge folder out of the Application Support folder and start it again, it works fine. if I modify anything (to rebuild all the missing folders at that location)  and quit and start up  again, the crash happens again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to Seems_like_Trav

Doing the same thing again, it crashes while I'm on the COMPUTER selection, when I enlarge the icons...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:01 PM   in reply to Seems_like_Trav

Yes, it seems to be caused by enlarging the icons too far (in the content window) with COMPUTER selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:16 PM   in reply to Seems_like_Trav

Apologies, i clicked the wrong link and have mean tto reply in another (similar) thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to Molekula

Here is a link to the photoshop forum discussing problems with Mountain Lion http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1041222?tstart=0

May not be same problem, but shows OS has problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I don't have a crash with zip or doc files, and I seemed to have fixed my other problem by enlarging the icons a little bit and then restarting...at least it hasn't happened again (so far) after doing that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Seems_like_Trav

I've got the same problem, everytime I try to open bridge it crashes. Mini Bridge loads via Photoshop but as soon as I try and do anything it crashes.

I cannot find any fix's on the net other than the suggestion of upgrading to CS6.

Anyone had any luck?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Molekula

Same here. I wonder if it has anything to do with file type association. If you check, (under Preferences) neither zip files nor word docs are on the list. And it appears there is no way to add a new file type, so I can at least test my theory.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to g4zilla

(Posted this over on the Apple Community as well)

OK, I believe I've got a workaround. Locate a zip file, do a Get Info in the Finder. Change the "Open with:" from Archive Utility app to Stuffit Expander app.

Now go to Bridge and open that folder containing that zip file. Does it open without crashing? If so, go back to Get Info and choose to "Change all" to Stuffit Expander.

Now you can navigate without crashing (at least with zip files!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to g4zilla

Thanks for the advice, still crashing for me

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to vaughaag2004

Hmm. Interesting. I've had a couple of guys over in the Apple Forum tell me it worked for them. Sorry it didn't help you!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to vaughaag2004

@vaughaag2004: Did you happen to see this thread? http://forums.adobe.com/message/4587342#4587342

Onyx seemed to solve it for at least one guy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Molekula

Same problem here, though no relation with .zip archives, as far as I can tell. Apparently Bridge wants to write some prefs to your hard disk. I solved it by changing permissions to my hard disk. Set group everyone to read and write, than start Bridge. It should start up fine now. Once it is started up, you can change your permissions back to their defaults. This did the trick for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Matroos Vos

Thanks Matroos.  I tried your suggestion of changing group everyone to read and write but unfortunately it didn't work for me.  Bridge still crashes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to andy@usqProductions.com

Same for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to jaybeaud

In Bridge and Photoshop forum lots of problems with Mt. Lion and Adobe products.  Are you people getting any help from Apple?  Since the OS update created a raft of problems they should be the primary avenue for fixes.

Report back here of any progress so others can benefit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 2:38 AM   in reply to g4zilla

g4zilla, I've changed the Open With option as you suggested, and so far, so good, the folders that seemed to be crashing Bridge are not anymore. What I can't quite work out is that I've had Mt Lion installed for the last couple of weeks, and apart for once where it crashed for a little while, it was working fine again after reboot. This morning though, it suddenly started crashing left right and centre trying to access folders I previously didn't have any issue accessing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to milktm

Ok after spending a day to trall through all the threads I have now fixed this issue.

Firstly make sure hidden files are viawable then navigate the 'Macintonsh HD''Users

Open 'Users' ----> '{yourusername}'--------->Library----->Application Support

Right click on the 'Adobe' folder and click the padlock to allow changes.

Make sure that 'System', 'Staff' and 'Everyone' is set to 'Read & Write'

You should find that Bridge now loads and works as it once did.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to vaughaag2004

vaughaag2004, I've just done what you suggested and switched back the Open With to the default expander for zip files, and so far, Bridge hasn't crashed, even when jumping from one folder containing a zip file to another. Will keep it running today and see whether this continues to work.

I don't know whether this is just a fit of my imagination, but Bridge also seems to be faster. Fingers crossed...

Thank you for posting this fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to milktm

@milktm no probs.

I got quite annoyed about the whole thing, both Adobe and Apple pretty much ignoring the issue and telling me to upgrade to CS6.

I was very close to reverting to Lion, I would have rather lost cost of the OS upgrade than spend out £1k on upgrading Photoshop!!

It's still working fine for me, I worked over 500 pictures yesterday through a number of folders with varied content and no issues.

Rgds,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to vaughaag2004

@vaughaag2004: I gave it a go, and then tested by changing the default "Open With..." to Archive Utility on one file only. (The folder contained other zip files, but they were connected to Stuffit Expander) Bridge launched and loaded OK.

So, I enacted the system-wide change to make all zip files open with Archive Utility, and then launched Bridge again. It worked without crashing. Though I had zero crashes by making the previous change I suggested a few posts above, I'm going to leave things with this new setup and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to g4zilla

No probs,

Since I had it working on the iMac, I decided to upgrade the MBP today. I carried out a clean install, then installed CS5.5 and Bridge kept crashing. I did the fix I listed above and its working fine now.

There has to be something within ML that stops Adobe altering/creating the folder permissions.

I'm just glad it works now

Rgds,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to vaughaag2004

Since this turned out to be, not surprisingly, a permissions problems, I wonder whether Mac users have forgotten or neglected the time-proven advice to REPAIR PERMISSIONS with Apple's Disk Utility before AND after installing any application, update or upgrade, as well as before AND after every install, update or upgrade of the OS.  Without exception.

Repair Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility, Mac Users.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to vaughaag2004

Thanks heaps for this. I just changed it and so far all good. Really appreciate you sharing the solution.

And yes to the above, I tried EVERYTHING before this including reparing permissions.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to jaybeaud

jaybeaud wrote:

...I tried EVERYTHING before this including reparing permissions.

Right before and right after the installation? 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to jaybeaud

Repairing permissions after the problems arise seldom helps.

Mac users have forgotten or neglected the time-proven advice to REPAIR PERMISSIONS with Apple's Disk Utility before AND after installing any application, update or upgrade, as well as before AND after every install, update or upgrade of the OS.  Without exception.

Repair Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility, Mac Users,

immediately before and immediately after an install, re-install, update or upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to station_two

@station_two

Possibly for some. But considering the same problem existed after a 100% clean OS  install and for those who have bought new devices with ML preinstalled then installed CS5.5, I think there is a bit more of an underlying problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to vaughaag2004

vaughaag2004 wrote:

…considering the same problem existed after a 100% clean OS…

After a clean install of the OS, I would definitely and without exception run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions. Always.

When buying a new machine the first two things I always do are (1) wipe the drive clean and write it to zeros, and (2) Repair Permissions right after installing a fresh OS on it as well as after any immediate update of said OS.  If the update does not happen immediately after the new installation of the OS, I would definitely Repair Permissions again before the update too, then immediately afterwards.

On the other hand, if by "ML" you are referencing Mountain Poop, then all bets are off, of course. 

Maybe Apple will get it that OS right by version 10.8.6.  They never seem to get a new OS right before the dot-six release, that's why Lion never had a chance to mature.

(I thought I had already posted this message earlier, but inexplicably, it's not here.  I hope it was not removed because of my deservedly derogatory reference to the latest Apple Mac OS.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to station_two

I know that it should sound obvious, but what EXACTLY does Repair Permissions do???

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to adoby10

@adoby10 -  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452

@station_two - I can appreciate where your coming from but every OS from Windows/OSX through to the most stable of UNIX systems have 100's of faults when they are released. Users reporting these faults form a key part of making the system better and is an essential part of the evolution process, updates, service packs and new releases etc.

The problem comes where the programmers and/or software houses do not reply to users offering support or acknowledge that there is a problem in the first place, something that happens all too often.

In my opinion there are plenty of places on the net to slate specific OS's, support forums are not necessarily the right place.

All the best,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to vaughaag2004

A support forum is EXACTLY the right place to caution users against upgrading to a very bad OS that causes so much grief to CS6 users.  That is my opinion. 

Opinions are like noses: everyone has one.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Opinions are like noses: everyone has one.

Indeed, but we have not been discussing problems with CS6, this thread has been discussing problems with CS5 through 5.5.

Anyhows, people seem to be having a bit more luck now which is the main thing

Rgds,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to vaughaag2004

It's still a Mountain Lion issue.  It's a good thing you found the solution.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points