Skip navigation
merc220
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 10 won't open a second time

Aug 17, 2012 1:11 AM

Hi,

I am running on the Windows 7 platform - 64bit system - 4GB Ram - 488GB free disk space.

When I first start up Elements 10 it opens fine. If I close the program and then go back it will not open up a second time from ether the desktop or the exe file in the program file.

If I re-boot, it performs in exactly the same way as above. If I go directly a photo and say open up with Photoshop this works fine.

Has anyone had this problem? if so can you please help.

Regards

Keith

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 1:14 AM   in reply to merc220

When I first start up Elements 10

So why don’t you post over at the Photoshop Elements Forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to merc220

Moved this discussion to PSE forum.

Check your Task Manager to see if Photoshop Elements is still running in the background (is not closing down correctly). If it's there, try ending the task and then relaunch.

If this is happening there are a couple possibilities for why it could be happening. One is that the preference settings are trying to save and something is preventing that, such as user permissions. Or another application running in the background could be holding on to it, such as security software scanning it.

The first thing to try would be to right-click the executable file and choose "Run as Administrator".

Next, try a new user account.

Third, try disabling background applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to merc220

Bypass the Unwelcome Screen by creating Desktop shortcuts for the Organizer and the Editor, and restarting your computer.

The Editor's executable is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 10\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

The Organizer's executable is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 10 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe"

The Unwelcome Screen leaves a zombie process running which prevents the actual program from launching again.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to photodrawken

If it's leaving a zombie process, that's not part of the application's programming. It certainly never happens on my computer. Plus, the Welcome screen itself is a separate executable, even if it is itself left open, this will not prevent the Editor or Organizer from launching.

However, if we are encountering an issue here with permissions, it could be a result of launching the Editor/Organizer (by the way is it one, the other, or both?) because the system, for whatever reason, requires hightened permissions that are not granted when one application launches another.

But the OP does mention that even launching from the executable, not just the desktop shortcut, exhibits the same behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett N wrote:

If it's leaving a zombie process, that's not part of the application's programming. It certainly never happens on my computer. Plus, the Welcome screen itself is a separate executable, even if it is itself left open, this will not prevent the Editor or Organizer from launching.

Far be it for me to accuse Adobe of intentionally creating zombies!

However, here on Win7 x64, running in a standard user account, when the Editor or Organizer is launched from the Unwelcome Screen there is often (not always) a zombie process left running.  It can be seen in the Task Manager's "Processes" tab, and killing that process allows the Editor or Organizer to be launched again.

Brett N wrote:

However, if we are encountering an issue here with permissions, it could be a result of launching the Editor/Organizer (by the way is it one, the other, or both?) because the system, for whatever reason, requires hightened permissions that are not granted when one application launches another.

I'll leave it to the product development team to determine whether or not it's a permissions issue.  I use the recommended Best Practices for computing -- only running by logging in as a standard user account.  My opinion is that except for specialized system maintenance software (and installation procedures) no software should require running as an administrator.

Brett N wrote:

But the OP does mention that even launching from the executable, not just the desktop shortcut, exhibits the same behavior.

That is consistent with the effects of the zombie process.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to photodrawken

You're right, it should work just fine in a Standard user account. However, not all Standard user accounts are created equal. The "Standard" label just means that user account is part the Standard group. What defines Standard from one computer to another can be changed. Some may have more restrictive permissions than others. For me, when I created a Windows 7 64-bit Standard user account, I did not run into this issue. I launched the Welcome Screen from the desktop shortcut, launched Editor, closed it, and then relaunched it from the Welcome Screen. No problem. Did the samething again for the Organizer. Launches multiple times without problem. Permissions could be the source of this issue, or simply background processes, but it's not part of the program itself that causes this phantom/zombie/ghost application to run in the background. I've heard reports of this, some say it's the Editor only, others the Organizer only, very rarely has it been both. I've also seen it with other Adobe applications, and with non-Adobe applications. In most scenarios, the problem is background applications. The only reason I suggest a permissions issue is when bypassing the Welcome Screen becomes a solution.

Most software runs without Admin-level access, Photoshop Elements included.

Which brings up the question for the OP: Are you working in a Standard account, an Administrator, or something else?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to Brett N

You've accurately described some of the variables involved.  I don't envy the developers the task of tracking down an intermittent problem like this one.  (However, I'd be willing to head up that team -- for, say, a cool 1M USD per year... )

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to merc220

Keith,

Glad to help.  You do not have to run the shortcuts "As Administrator", however.  In fact, it's a bad idea to do that -- say you open the Help, which is an online system.  You're then browsing the Internet as an administrator, and any malware you run into will have administrator rights on your computer....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to merc220

I've made the shortcut and it still doesn't work. Its super annoying and it was a waste of my money.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to grizzuare

Just so we're all on the same page here Grizzuare, you open up Photoshop Elements once and it works fine, but you close and attempt to reopen and it does not, unless you restart your computer or log out of and back into your user account?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points