Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stroke layer effects set to "Multiply"

Aug 18, 2012 9:50 AM

When designing for the web, I often like to give text boxes a thin, 1-pixel stroke of a slightly darker color than the box itself. I've noticed that when using the Stroke layer style options, setting the position attribute to "Inside" and the blend mode to "Multiply" has the undesirable effect of multiplying the border color with the background, instead of multiplying the border color with the box color (see figure 1). This seems like a bug to me. The only way I have found to achieve the result I'm looking for is to create a duplicate shape above my box layer, set the fill to 0%, and then apply the stroke effect to that layer (see figure 2). Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this all in one layer? I know I could just set the blend mode to "Normal" and choose my darker color explicitly, but I want the layer style to be portable, so I can use it on boxes of any color and have the resulting stroke a darker shade of that color.

I am currently using Photoshop CS4 on a Mac.

Multiplied Strokes.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to KrisHunt

Use an inner glow with choke set to 100%. This sufficiently mimics the stroke and gives the blending you desire.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Mylenium wrote:

Use an inner glow with choke set to 100%. This sufficiently mimics the stroke and gives the blending you desire.

Mylenium

While that is good to know.

its still seems a bit odd that a an inner layer style stroke blending option changes how that area of the layer to blend into the layers below differently then how the other pixels in the layer are blended into the layers below. It Is as though the layer has an layer mask that makes the layer's edges somehat transparent added to the layer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to KrisHunt

KrisHunt wrote:

This seems like a bug to me

I agree!

It has been mentioned in this forum quite recently, so, hopefully, someone from Adobe has noted and reported the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points