Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

third party training

Aug 18, 2012 8:59 AM

Larry Jordan: Adobe Audition CS6 Complete Training $79

Jeff Sengstack: Learning Adobe Audition CS6 $100

Garrick Chow: Audition CS6 Essential Training $50

Anybody have any experience of any of these?  Recommendations?  Reviews?

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to therealdobro

therealdobro wrote:

Recommendations? 

Learn to use it yourself, and don't bother with other peoples' ideas of how you use Audition, because there's no one 'correct' way to carry out most audio operations. Except for the few that are covered very well in the help files, that is...

Learning Audition is like learning to drive a car - you don't do that by reading the car manual, do you? And whilst you might claim that you want a driving instructor to help you, I'd suggest that you don't really learn how to drive a car until you're in it on your own!

So my recommendation is simple - start doing real jobs with it, and see how you get on. And if you get stuck, ask questions here, because we know at least as much as the people in these packages do, and can actually reply - something you don't get when you pay out your $50-100. So purchasing so-called training packages is not money well spent, I'd say. You learn best by doing it yourself, and not by watching somebody else. Save the money, and get stuck in!

I don't blame the training package providers for doing it - they're trying to make a living too. But primarily that's what you do when you buy one of these - you help them to earn a living, but unfortunately there's no real leverage in it for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Aug 19, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

One thing you could do though is enrol on an Audition practical course, if you can find one. This is way better, because you get to do some guided exercises, with an instructor on hand to ask when you get stuck. And as you are doing it yourself, you're actually learning directly, rather than having it mediated.

Even this isn't perfect though, because you are learning just one way of doing things - and not really being encouraged to experiment and find out what's possible - which is what you should really be doing. Because that way, when something different comes along, you'll have a much better idea of how to tackle it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I find that lots of reading of the Help file often reveals undiscovered features even if help isn't needed. And, as Steve suggests, experiment and right click on things to come across hidden optioms even if you don't need to. I quite often find that trolling through the keyboard shortcuts can often uncover new features that I didn't know were there. Good luck with the ongoing adventure that is Audition.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Aug 24, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to therealdobro

Just bear in mind that I know the truth about Jason - he is still a friend of mine!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to therealdobro

I'm more worried about SteveG leading Jason astray than just saying naughty things about him.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Aug 25, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

I'm more worried about SteveG leading Jason astray than just saying naughty things about him.

Been there, done that...(ask him!)

All I'm prepared to say about Jason in this context is that he's probably the best salesman in the world. Seriously. He could sell you your own grandmother, probably several times over. He could convince you to try all sorts of things with Audition that you'd never even dreamed of. But would you learn any more? I don't think so. The only difference is that you'd enjoy not learning any more!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points