Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video format (widescreen/standard) of imported file from DVD

May 20, 2012 12:17 AM

Tags: #elements_9 #video_format #importing_dvd #widescreen_standard

Hi,

Due to a problem with my camera I had a mini DV tape (recorded in widescreen) copied to DVD in a shop.  It plays as widescreen on my TV.

Importing the VOD file into my computer in Premiere Elements 9, the whole file was copied onto my hard disc at users/stuart/pictures/adobe/photos from removable media/dvd_video_recorder. I then ran it through the auto-analyser.  This has split the original file (25 mins) into a large number of scenes. However, they all are in standard format, not widescreen. Should I have done something during the import or auto-analyse process to get widescreen?  Would copying the VOD file onto my hard drive first make a difference?  Is there some software for ripping the file off the DVD onto my computer (Windows 7)?

Most grateful if anyone can help before I have to try all these things myself.

Regards,

Stuart

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to Stuart Logan

It depends on what the people you hired did to it when they captured your video. (It's a shame you went with DVD format. Video from a miniDV works perfectly in Premiere Elements! Video from DVDs, not so much.)

First, make sure your project is set up for DVD. When you started your project, make sure you select the project settings for standard definition widescreen Hard Disk Camcorder. Otherwise, you're going to have problems later.

Then add your clips to your timeline,right-click on each and select Interpret Footage. You should then be able to set the footage to fit your widescreen project by changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio.

If this doesn't work, then the people who captured your video screwed it up and you'll need to fudge it. Or they cropped your video down to 4:3 when they captured it, in which case you've lost the video data and you can't fix it without recapturing your video.

Me? I'd pay $75 for a  used miniDV camcorder on eBay and not mess with paying pros to capture it at all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Stuart Logan

I hope that it does work for you.

Let's talk a bit about what Interpret Footage does. When an AV (Audio Visual) file is written (in the case of a DVD-Video, it's an MPEG-2 file, inside of the VOB, Video Object, wrapper), it has a header, with information about the file. That information is in the form of "flags," and will tell the NLE (Non Linear Editor) program, or player, what the attributes of the file are. Depending on how that header is written, those flags might be picked up, but not always. Some programs play a bit fast and loose with the AV specs., and even the DVD specs. That can result in an NLE, or player, missing the flags, so they will default to the lowest common denominator, and one will end up with SD Standard 4:3 material, and probably at 29.97 FPS for NTSC.

Interpret Footage is a manual function, to tell the NLE what those flags should have told it. It is not really a conversion utility, as if the material IS 29.97 FPS, telling it that it's really 25 FPS (PAL), might have some issues. It is more to correct for missing flags, to allow the program to treat the footage, as it should.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Stuart Logan

I must keep an eye on this forum.

I find this to be a very active forum, and one, from which I learn something new, almost every day.

When I first got PrE, I spent a day, or two, just reading the entire forum. I started with threads, that looked like they could help me get up to speed with the program (especially as I had been using PrPro for some years, and there WERE differences), but then got hooked on reading everything.

Most of those old threads are now long gone, with several forum changes, since those days, but I still try to stay current, and at least read each new thread.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I had this issue as well.  The footage was "taken" in wide screen accoring to the settings on my camera.  Turns out, my camera (Sony VX-2100) doesn't really take video in 16:9. It fakes it by taking 4:3 then resizing it manually.  If I capture the footage into Premiere, it's wide screen.  If I burn to DVD then import the file into Premiere, it's 4:3.  Turns out it appears that's correct because it's a camera setting and not true 16:9 video recording.

I have to resize to 16:9 in Premiere (uncheck the Uniform Scale setting in the clip's Effects Control and set width to 134%.)

Hope this helps.  Check your cameras make sure sure you understand the video capture ratio.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points