Skip navigation
dl6844
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble importing photos from external hard drive to LR

Aug 18, 2012 11:50 AM

Tags: #import

Hello,

I am trying to import photographs from an external hard drive to LR4.1.  The photos appear to come over ok and be available as long as the external hard drive is connected.  Once it's disconnected, however, the photos are still in LR, but each has a line that says "The file named XXXX is offline or missing."  What do I need to do to ensure that the photos are moved to the right place in LR so the entire file will be there, without the external hard drive connected?

Thanks,

David Lester

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to dl6844

When you do the import, you want to choose "Move" (or "Copy") from the top of the import dialog box. This will move (or copy) the photo from your external HD to a folder location that you select (on the right of the import dialog box) on your internal HD.

Please see this help file for more information

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WSEBFDC1BF-1D0A-46c4-A453- C29279EB078C.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to dl6844

I have no idea what Microsoft Expressions is, never heard of it. However, a .jpg is a .jpg, and a .tif is a .tif, and so on.

It is my assumption that an external HD is not treated the same as a camera data card by Lightroom. I know that's how it works on a PC. I don't know for sure that this is waht happens on a Mac, since I don't have one. Nevertheless, what is the point of your question? If the answer is true, or the answer is false, what difference does it make to you?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points