Skip navigation
kkolompar
Currently Being Moderated

Fonts and Library

Aug 17, 2012 2:14 AM

Tags: #font #library #license #indesign #cs6

Hi!

I have a few questions that are boiling in my mind. I own a copy of InDesign CS6 through Creative Cloud and I'm currently working on a magazine.

Questions:

1.I have downloaded a font for use but it is restricted due to licensing issues, says the error. The page I downloaded it at states that it is free to use, even for commercial purposes.

Fontname: Royal

http://www.fontspace.com/aldus/royal

I get this error when trying to publish a PDF file.

2. Is it possible to create a Library in InDesign with all assets like graphics, text,  and so on and send this file to someone else so he could use all of it. Create all the assets that will be needed for the magazine so to speak.

3. Is it possible to link text so it jumps for example to another page?

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I really value all answers.

Regards,

K.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to kkolompar

InDesign reads an internal bit in the font to know whether it is embeddable. If that bit is not proerly set by the font author, ID will see it as restricted and you will not be able to embed it, regardless of waht the license may or may not say.

Yes, You can create a library in InDesign, but I don't think it will do what you want. You usually use a library for a set of assets that would be used many times in multiple publications to make it easy to find them, and I believe libraries are really just pointers to the locations of the original content (that may not be true for text objects) so sending a library file to someone who doesn't also sahre access to the originals won't be much use. You can "package" and document (File > Package...) which is to old method for sending things to print, and gather the document and all links and fonts together into a single folder for transfer.

If you mean can text flow from one page to another, yes. That's called Threading and you should read the help files about working with text and then come back if you have unanswered questions. If you mean can you creat text in one location and hav it repeated elsewhere, but update when the original text is updated, in CS6 the answer is also yes, and that's called a linked story. You should aslo check the help files on that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to kkolompar

1. Most likely what happened is someone used TypeTool3 rather than fontlab or fontographer convert/create this font, which does not allow you to turn off nonembed feature. You would have to convert to outlines prior to making the .pdf.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to kkolompar

Outlining text is generally considered poor technique for a variet of reasons including it renders it no longer editable (if you do it inthe document before export) and no longer searchable in a PDF. You also run the risk of losing all text adornments like underlines or paragraph rules, along with bullets and numbering, and I suspect cross-references and hyperlinks unless you do the outlining as part of transparency flattening. If you are contemplating going this route, please see Possible bug: oulining text w/ flattener in CS5

A better approach, in my opinion, would be to find a different font (it's not like you have a lot of money tied up in this one). This one actually looks like it's really Royal Initialen which is by Dieter Steffman. I found that for download at  http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/steffmann/ and it is embeddable, though I don't see any license information on the site so you should contact them regarding commercial use

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to kkolompar

There is a difference of having the font the avaiable free online and in embedding.

The fonts may be licensed to install free but can have been restricted for embedding , for which you need extended license.

Refer to the below link in order to understand the font licensing and permission concept. :-

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html

http://www.high-logic.com/fontcreator/manual/index.html?fontembeddingl icensingrig.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to kkolompar

Personally, I'm very distrustful of dafont.com and similar free font sites as a lot of what's there seems to be uploaded by users and may be pirated. They seem to be sending you to Dieter Steffman's personal site, however, so it may be legit. The site I linked above says they are now hosting all of his fonts (and I made the presumption that they have permission to do so), but I don't see any indication of licensing terms ther or at dafont. I don't read German, so I don't know what the designer's site has to say.

Free simply means there is no charge to download, but it doesn't mean you have permission to use it commercially without paying.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I ran the web page through Bing Translator and it seems pretty clear that Mr. Steffmann does not allow commercial use of his fonts. The site has not had an update since 2004, but there is a contact link...

I'm going to send him an email and see waht happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to kkolompar

I have no reason to think that it was not issued with the embeddability bit set to installable. There is a reference to hosting the fonts with "CyberPee" on the web page, and that name seems to be pretty clearly associated with moorstation.org, so I 'm pretty sure those are the versions direct from the designer. Again, though, embeddability is not the same as allowing commercial use.

It's also not clear if this was originally a public domain font, in which case there may be no claim of copyright (there's a ton of discussion about the vilidity of font licensing on the web, and I don't want to get into that here). I hope we hear something from the emails.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to kkolompar

I also recieved a response. He say to contact Linotype.com for commercial use.

I've searched the Linitype site and can't find the font, or any link to Steffmann as a designer, so I've sent off an email to Linotype's contact address asking if they know about it.

In the meantime they do have quite a few blackletter fonts (103 -- http://www.linotype.com/51475/categories-Blackletter.html#646772b08167 42fb7cf0a277beff272b ) and you might see something else you like. Archive Copperplate Text Std has some similarlity and is not terribly expensive at $22: http://www.linotype.com/423325/ArchiveCopperplateText-product.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to kkolompar

kkolompar wrote:

If you have graphics and Duplicate it inside ID does the copy count to the size of the document?

Yes. That said, if the graphics are linked what is stored in the ID file is just a pointer to the location, not the graphic itself, and pointers are tiny.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to kkolompar

kkolompar wrote:

What about if I make a  PDF out of the magazine, Peter, is that compressed somehow?

Other than what you can specify in the panel "Compression" in the PDF Export dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to kkolompar

When you use the Place command to import your graphics they are linked by default. This is good because it keeps your file size down and allows you to use the same graphic content in multiple files and update it in only one location if it needs editing, reducing drive space required. Linked files can be embedded, if you wish, but there are few reasons why this would be an advantage. Pasted conten. on the other hand, is not linked, and is difficult to extract for editing if required.

When you export the PDF the linked content is embedded into the PDF (along with the unrestricted fonts), and may or may not be compressed according to the settings that you use.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to kkolompar

I'm not certain about this as I don't do screen stuff, but I believe that when you export an interactive PDF it creates a single instance of each linked object, similar to the way a symbol works in Illustrator. The PDF library in CS6 may even do that for Print PDFs, but I don't think so.

Most of the time its fine to let ID do the downsampling, and for most printing 300 ppi is a good number, but see Distance-Resolution Formula for a discussion of resolution and viewing distance. 72 ppi is pretty standard, I think, for screen, but someone who actually does a lot of that sort of work may have more to say.

For your main body copy, ID comes with quite a few very high quality fonts from the Adobe font collection (and some display fonts, too), that you may use for any purpose.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to kkolompar

I heard back from Linotype this morning. I had asked specifically about the Royal Initialen font, and here's waht they said:

Dear Mr. Spier,

thank you very much for your email.

We do not handle commercial distribution for him - however, he is a font enthusiast who digitizes old lead typefaces - and quite a lot of them are Linotype typefaces, meaning the copyright is ours.

However, that does not mean we ever created a font, as most of these old typefaces have next to no demand. But since Mr. Steffmann does not want to violate any copyrights, he sends people who wish to use his fonts to us.

In your case, however, we are quite sure that the font you are referring to should not be a problem when used commercially, as there is no copyright that we know of at the moment. Should you wish to be 100% on the secure side, however, simply choose a similar typeface from our website and purchase a license, and use that font.

Best regards

Jens Konrad

Linotype Support

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to kkolompar

I'm not  a lawyer, but I would say it's pretty unlikely that Linotype, or anyone else, is going to come looking for you if you do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points