Skip navigation

Photoshop CS6—many problems.  Slow.

Jun 20, 2012 1:20 PM

Tags: #slow #bugs #photoshop_cs6
  Latest reply: Trevor Dennis, Feb 9, 2014 2:37 AM
Replies 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

That's not to say I believe the Photoshop 13.0.0 release to be of acceptable quality. The one thing Adobe did that they COMPLETELY fell down on was to hold a public beta, then not feed fixes for at least the most serious the problems reported back into the release (yes, the release code was actually built a week before the public beta started).

Two quotes from two different folks... ^ Noel hit a major problem on the head at one end -- everyone trying to business like web-companies at web-speed.  Might work when yours software is on your own server and you can update problems on the fly under your customers.  But too much of the "Web-Release Beta" mentality has bled over into the into the 'Major-Release-driven' mentality.

Part of this could be because the economics of the web-only model are attractive,  but there are many products that don't work well way (yet), too much HW is required on the end-user's end and product releases need to be laboriously installed and applied.  We don't run off a web server. 

MikeKPhoto summed up:

So the advice of "Getting It Right The First Time" really rings true

At best, this is an unaffordable luxury, but the reality, is that as software grows in complexity, it's defect rate rises at some exponential factor greater than 1.  The more power you build in that can be used and interacted with by every other part of the product  implies some type of squared (or worse) type of relation.    It is thought that we don't have the technical ability to fly to the moon and back anymore -- we had it at a time when the complexity of our equipment was just on the boundary of being provable or not -- and even then with double-redundant building Apollo 13 happened  -- with more automation came more abilities to lift loads more quickly -- AND the Challenger disaster.

The problem is growth cannot continue at the same pace as before -- and until new technologies allow further multiplication of development at all phases -- design, implementation, testing, more time is needed to test   new features -- while companies are driven by past glory growth and stockholder price pressures.  Being prudent isn't what stockholders want -- and some have the attitude (trickled to employees, indirectly) that if you had time to test it well enough for it to be perfect, then you spent too much time testing.   Caught between a rock and a hard place!   Culture needs to change expectations to allow excellence to thrive.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Astara_

Good point from a user : why video and 3d in photoshop? Seriously, who would use PS for video editing when there's Premiere? Stay true to PS, it's the best tool in the world for photography retouching, a very good for digital painting and a fairly good web design tool. If I want 3D, i'll open Maya or Lightwave. If I want to edit a video or do a montage, Premiere or After effects will be my tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:41 PM   in reply to fredaudet_

>> why video and 3d in photoshop?

Because many users requested basic video and 3D support in Photoshop.

And because those do overlap with image work quite a bit.

Photoshop is used for a LOT more than photography and web design..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 2:13 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

exactly it's becomming "jack of all trades, master of none" ...

Actually where can you request things ? ...  is there a special ideabox form on the adobe website ?..

Also isn't that working the reverse way round?.. as i remember before switching to Photoshop on SGI and mac's i used a Quantel system and their Painbox, that was at the time realy realy realy smooth working and powerfull machine, because the thing was developped for motion picture and so photography was real smooth on it...  So what i ask my self is, " is the PS " infrastructure adpated to work with heavy loads of video ant motion? ... As i can imagine one will use much more calculating power in the photoshop way of working ( and video) than in the "final cut pro" way of working, with seperate masters and a editing file..  ( some thing the quantel also used for photos, LOVED that, as you were only working on a small file a few kb's big.. )

Any way, i hope that there will be a fix for things soon, as i 've tried every thing on several modern machines, 

( max 3 months old), All up to date, all loaded with ram, all with the latest drivers,  trying to delete logs constantly, i have no ideas anymore what to do...  , PS CS5.5 is there

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 2:57 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

oooh, Bigger brush sizes and bigger feathers are a realy good idea in CS6.. to   pitty

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi,

First, sorry for my english i'm a french guy.

I can't agree with Mr. Chris Cox.

Because, if Photoshop CS5 working great with Mac OS X SL, Lion or Mountain Lion, why Photoshop CS6 don't ?

If Mr. Cox was very sure about what he said, sorry for him, but i have a solution.

And it's like a bug, really a bug. I'm a developper at my job, and i can't agree about Mr. Cox analysis for bug drivers or any other program installed.

Photoshop CS6 is very slow, and don't say again and again, the same things M. Cox, you know wrong or bad drivers, antivirus, background programs, etc... bla.bla.bla...

I do my test with a Mac fresh out of a box with nothing installed, nothing, just CS6. I'm trying on a iMac 24, 27, Mac Book Pro 13, 15, and all this Mac

have a SSD and 8 gb of ram. All the same bug, slow, very slow.

So, if i change just one params, it works like a charm !!!

Ths solution : GO in Preferences menu, then Type and select : East Asian

Restart Photoshop, and see the difference.

Like for always, like from the time i works on Director for make CD ROM, the same problem again and again... the render engine IS THE PROBLEM.

Adobe have a problem all the time with this !

The solution, change your developper's team !

have a nice day, i have to go back work

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to jeanphilippeZapps

So you've got some bad fonts installed or corruption in your OS font cache, and those are causing a slowdown on your system.

Try these steps to help find the underlying problem on your system: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to julienlanoo

What logs are you deleting?  Unless you've got a serious system problem, no logs should be accumulating unless you specifically enabled them (like the history log).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I hate cs6 i'm going back to cs5 or changing all together. you buy a upgrade and it is nothing but a problems

may sony vagas pro 11 is better. cs6, it just sucks!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to julienlanoo

Question...are you watching Netflix in HD on a 2nd monitor at the same time? lol.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to wizzerd144

Uh... no...but I do watch [8 or 10 bit] 1080p anime on my 2nd monitor, and haven't noticed it being much slower  except on very large  pics -- where it's slow all the time.

Thing is, it's a 6-core cpu, Got plenty of extra power there, and my GPU is a dual GPU 490,  with 1.5G / GPU.  Photoshop never uses more than a few hundred.  And the hpc64 player uses about 5% of all cpus (30%x1) and ~4% GPU (?8% of one?) ; given photoshop only uses 1 core when re-rendering content for update during edit, that leaves plenty there.  And I've never seen photoshop register on GPU usage (just memory) (am sure it does when I do certain '3D' things bug they aren't slow when I do them, so never any reason or chance to check).  But on 2D content -- I've got quite a few cycles to spare, just that photoshop needs to be adapted to use multiple cpu's.   Maybe it's the case that all the effects of all layers that aren't seen, need to be updated serially, but I sorta doubt it.

Oh -- and this is with CS5x64.

So Netflix, no--  but 1080p streaming from a local network disk (all my content on my networked server machine).  Given the resource usage, why should it be a factor?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Astara_

Astara_ wrote:

...with 1.5G / GPU.  Photoshop never uses more than a few hundred.

What tool are you using to monitor that?  Is it nVidia-specific?  I have an ATI card and would like to find a good tool to easily watch GPU RAM usage.

Edit:  Never mind, I found a very nice ATI Memory Viewer  tool for the FirePro series that works fine with my Radeon HD card.  Seems to me I tried that one a while back and found it somehow not to be acceptable, but now it appears to work fine.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/workstation/graphics/tools/pages/tools. aspx

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

AFAIK, the tool I'm using isn't HW specific...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to Astara_

I didn't see that coming actually.  I use GPU-Z.  It didn't seem particularly accurate before but later versions seem to measure things inline with what reality (and other card-specific utilities)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 20, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to Astara_

Astara_ wrote:

AFAIK, the tool I'm using isn't HW specific...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker

That tool can watch GPU memory usage on the graphics card itself?

Further testing of the ATI software and it looks like it never changes its display from the values it initially puts up, so I may have been wrong about it being capable of doing the job.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 20, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to wizzerd144

wizzerd144 wrote:

I use GPU-Z

Just looking at the screenshots I don't see any measure of the GPU memory usage.  Did I miss it?

Edit:  Never mind, I ran it and see the Memory Usage fields.  Thanks for that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 12:41 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

@ skulltrail, you elaborate exactly my point...
    That one can't win a pigeon-race when het enters a chicken in the competition...

Sony Vegas is a video editing software, PHOTOSHOP ISN T,  they just added a video function (a bit a elaborated evolution of image ready from in the past ...)  .  Witch is frankly rediculous, i have no problem they make a complete app suite that works well together, with première en PS, But cluthering a App that isn't ment to be used as such and that has far from good enough functions to be used as such might get a little buzz in the beginning.

But Pro's have like the french say " idée fixes" and once they got a bad experience, it's difficult to get them back... So why try to force video pros to make video in PS? THEY USE PS ANY WAY, for some things, and if they like Première the use première, .. .

Any way, no stress guys, if the strategy is to make a "jack of all trades, master of none" - app, that's fine, Other app's will come and will be used as pro soft..  Look at what happend with QUARK express, ... or LOTUS 123..., etc etc..  I have a room full of wonderfull software boxes, with only pro-soft, used a lot at the time, But now nobody hears about it..

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The next pic is a tall one, as I resized the graph to be tall so it would blow up

the "low end" where photoshop is (of usage!)...

A "Bad" feature of the software on the CPU/GPU is that it follows the 'Windows Way' method of reporting CPU/GPU as % of total CPU's/GPU's and has no option to display the considerably more helpful Irix-Unix (who was among the first to have need for showing multiple cpu unit) value of (%/CPU's-summed). 

With the CPU, visually, it doesn't make that much difference, but with the GPU, you have to configure the tool to know how many units of the 'CL' units your graphics card has, are used for GPU.  In the Nvidia, the HW that powers their 3d graphics overlaps with the HW that can be used when using card as a computation resource.   But not all of those computation units can be used for GPU usage.  

At the bottom of the pic on my display, I have a button called Nodes... If I click on that

it displays individual graphs for each computation node.  You have to manually select

which nodes are used for GPU computation on that graph to get a correct display (lame, but it's a general purpose tool that is HW blind and shows Net/Disk/Mem/CPU/ and a bunch of process details you can't get out of any other single tool. On my system, though, Only 2/14 of the boxes on that computation graph are checked.  The result being that

my GPU graph would display 1/14th as high and would never see more than about 7% GPU usage if the GPU's were operating at full tilt in 'default'.  Only when configured to show the actual GPU's it can use do I see much on the GPU usage graph. 

The mem graph is much less complicated, though it may be representative of how it can be used when using both GPU's to render -- in that it only shows the full memory on 1 internal GPU (1.5G), rather than 3G.  It may be that you can only use 3G when you use

it as computation mode memory, and as video mode memory, the regions of multiple GPU's mirror each other so each has it's own local copy -- dunno.

But in the graph you can see my startup of Photoshop first thing this morning -- the highest spike on the GPU was @ 12%, but mostly under 3%,  I did not much other than

open the file (4.5k² pixels ~ 380GB, ~ 300 layers, maybe 500-800 (total, not additional) if you count each effect on a layer as a separate layer).   The memory peaked at 415MB.

Usage including zooming in on an area, and flicking it around a few times...to

generate some GPU usage -- both low-intensity ops.

After the GPU graph (shows GPU%, mem dedicated (on card), and shared (unintersting).

I also include separate graphs for the OS and CPU usage - the CPU usage graph was taken a bit late, the center spike on CPU's 4+5 (numbering from left=0) corresponds about to the GPU spike on the GPu graph...that's when the file was first displayed/read in.

The OS memory usage graph will fill up as I work as more undo/history becomes available in memory, but GPU mem, GPU%, and CPU% don't escalate over time .. except insomuch as CPU% usage goes up as it becomes busier managing tmp space (The tmp file for working on this file will easily hit 100G if I do too much in one session),

which is when I run out of disk on a 400GB System SSD disk and whine about there being 50GB free on my page-partition, which I keep separate from main HD storage.

photoshop-startup1.pngphotoshop-startup3.pngphotoshop-startup4.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to julienlanoo

yes i have prem, pro suite i  have had to many problems with cs6

i called tech support and they told me to buy some rendering software to burn a blu ray

like g something i said that is what your software is suppose to do.

they said they would call me back no call thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 29, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to Astara_

Thanks for the additional info, Astara.  Looks like some interesting stuff.  I will get back here and give that software a try, but have a lot of things scheduled before I can go look at that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to ladri-bici

I'm heading back to CS5 because it's too difficult to get things done in CS6. I have the same slow problems that everyone seems to be having but in addition I have weird things happening with my Wacom pen. Most of the time I select the brush and paint, nothing happens, I checked all the brush settings and there is no problem there. Other times the brush works. It also seems to freeze the program as well until I switch to the mouse and select another tool. Same thing happens with the lasso tool, the pen works sometimes and not others. I like to use the brush to paint on layer masks for soft effects, this pretty much never works in CS6. I spend half my time trying work-arounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to RussellPierce

RussellPierce wrote:

I'm heading back to CS5 because it's too difficult to get things done in CS6.

The 14th ammendement to the US constitution does in fact state: don't buy an Adobe product until about 3 months after it's released so they can fix it all :-P Same for Microsoft, FYI.  Initial buyers are inexpensive beta testers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 29, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to wizzerd144

It's been 5 months since the first bugs were reported against the public beta.

Not everyone finds Photoshop CS6 so buggy and slow that they want to revert.  I find it better in many ways than Photoshop CS5 myself, and would never consider switching back.  But that has to do with what you use it for and what your system is like.  If I were having the problems described here I'd certainly be singing a different tune.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 9:51 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

>> why video and 3d in photoshop?

Because many users requested basic video and 3D support in Photoshop.

And because those do overlap with image work quite a bit.

Photoshop is used for a LOT more than photography and web design..

What you say in no doubt correct, but the point is how many people use it for more than photography and web design. I would guess not very many. What percentage of your user base is professional/corporate and has a high-end need for sophisticated features such as 3D, as opposed to domestic users, such as myself?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 11:22 PM   in reply to rob_ashcroft

>> how many people use it for more than photography and web design

Quite a bit, actually.

And 3D is seeing quite a lot of usage from 3D and general design users.

And video is still ramping up across several market segments.

Just because you don't use Photoshop a certain way, doesn't mean a lot of other people out there don't depend on using it that way.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 12:14 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

>> how many people use it for more than photography and web design

Quite a bit, actually.

And 3D is seeing quite a lot of usage from 3D and general design users.

And video is still ramping up across several market segments.

Just because you don't use Photoshop a certain way, doesn't mean a lot of other people out there don't depend on using it that way.

I can understand that Adobe, and most other big companies, want to continually develop new features for their products because it acts as an inducement for potential customers to buy or upgrade. But I sometimes think that features are often added partly for marketing purposes, rather than reflecting a real need in the customer base. A good case in point is the mega-pixel war between Canon and Nikon, which thankfully seems to have died down a little. Yes, there were initially benefits in having more MP, but only up to a certain point.

If you continue to add resource-hungry features to Photoshop the only possible outcome of that is that the customer base will have to continually upgrade their hardware and perhaps some of their other software in order to run Photoshop at a reasonable performance level. I don't really have too much of an issue with that as I'm fortunate in being able to afford a reasonable level of kit, and CS6 runs very well on my desktop PC. But a lot of other users are NOT in that position. I have been following the many comments in this thread, and if I sent my PC to some of the people who are having problems, and they loaded their Photoshop versions on to it, I'm sure it would run fine for most of them.

It's always a difficult balance, with anything, to get it right between giving out advantages and gains against the risk of some down-side factors. Medical drugs are a good example of that (illegal ones too!)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I made the comment about "Why photoshop got 3-d and Video..." I asked because with all of the problems, i and others are having with photoshop, why would we care if it had 3d or video, when the other BASIC stuff stopped working?

Was it because they messed with the code for video or 3d? Photoshop was already a resource hog, but now it seems on both of my machines (which were maxed out with memory and processors) - I can't get it to run like CS4!  FOR BASIC THINGS!

So my question again, why 3D and video, when adobe can't get the program to run right in the first place?

If you use, or need 3D and video, there are so many other better programs out already. So why mess with the basic functions of photoshop to gain maybe a 2% market of people who want 3d and video?

I do 3d and video and on'y on a few occasions did i use photoshop to overlay text on video. The 3d stuff was horrible and took forever! I gave up and went back to SKetchup and will probably never use photoshop again for 3d because I can't get it to work with normal crap now. - Who care about 3d when the basic functions are messed up?

Not me or probably 90+% of photoshop users. ( I am pulling those percentages out of nowhere, but it makes sense.)

I tried to work in CS6 again this week and it literally made the spinning beach ball for over ten minutes before I had to Hard reset the machine. That was on a 100MB files. Rediculous. I opened CS4 and no issues at all. - SOmething has to give when you are paying big bucks for a program that SUCKS worse than what the older "outdated" program does.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 30, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to paul campagna

Paul, did you try 13.0.1?  It's been released today.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to paul campagna

>> So my question again, why 3D and video, when adobe can't get the program to run right in the first place?

Why do we have dogs and catfish?

You're asking for a relationship between things that are not related.

Features were added, bugs crept in other areas, and some external factors changed (drivers) -- those are not related by cause and effect.

If you want a performance bug fixed -- provide details on the specific problem you're seeing, your system, your documents and what you've done to troubleshoot it.  Getting those details on this and similar threads has been worse than pulling teeth.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Not wanting to sell the bears skin before it's shot, at this moment, the Update 13.0.1 runs "OK", Big difference with the 0.0 version, But lets watch how it keeps up with larger projects and longer works...

Not te break the negative mood of the forum post here ( as it's nice to be grumpy some times ), If this prooves to be the solution to PSCS6 being slow, shouldn't Adobe send us some chocolates with appologies ?.. Just to say, yeah our first version was ****, and sorry we didn't give in to it at first. We know we should have agreed it was **** at first and we solved it with this update so sorry, but have a chocolate

hehe

Or, the appologie message could be: Yeah we know the 0.0 version didn't work well, but you know our beta and dev budget was emptied, and we needed some cash to finish the thing, so we sold it and with that money we finished the thing, so Thank you for your 0% loan to thank you we can give you a 50% rebate on wacom tablets or we're happy to have lunch with you at Fotokina ? ..

hehe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No I didn't update yet (didn't know it was released) Buy I will on Tuesday when I can and report back.

For Chris, my problem is that I shouldn't have to spend DAYS trouble shooting something for YOU (or Adobe). That's not my job, but it seems to be expected with a lot of Adobe products. Sure there are all kinds of variables, but I don't seem to have the problems with other products as much as Adobe's, so I know it can be done. I download apps all the time that seem to work without the huge problems PS6 has...

I think adobe has enough money to hire people who should figure out all the "bugs" before releasing it.

In the last to years I've had nothing but problems with Adobe. Customer service was HORRIBLE, (which I think is getting worked out) and the last two releases of PS has been riddled with bugs. Then I spend HOURS, which turns into DAYS of trouble shooting, which ultimately makes me go backwards to CS4 that works fine. Why should I have to do this with the most expensive program I have?

I will download the update and report back, but I have zero confidence it will do anything. I wish there was a program I could buy that would do what i need PS to do, but Adobe knows there isn't any alternative for people like me. I would GLADLY never buy another Adobe product, but I and others do not have that option. It seems Adobe knows this, so they release something earlier than it should've been, then want their customers to find the bugs for them. If that is always going to be the case, then I expect Adobe to put me on the payroll and pay me for being their "trouble shooter"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to paul campagna

I perfomed the update 13.0.1 and it seems to have corrected the problems I was having. They were unresponsive brushes, lasso tool etc when used with the Wacom pen on the Intuos 4 tablet. Sometimes the brushes would work and other times it would just sort of freeze the program until I brought the mouse in and clicked a couple of times on another tool. Painting on layer masks with the pen pretty much never worked but now seems to have no problem. The program did seem very sluggish overall and that also seems to be much better.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 31, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

julienlanoo wrote:

shouldn't Adobe send us some chocolates with appologies ?

Good luck with that.

There comes a time in the life of a company, possibly catalyzed by the loss of a leader (thinking e.g., Jobs / Gates in the case of two other companies), or possibly just when the company becomes publicly traded, that it loses its heart and becomes an unfeeling, lifeless money-making engine.

Personally I think that's a great loss, and I don't honestly believe it's necessary.  But someone in a decision-making position has to care enough to not allow the company to become heartless, just as, say, the sole-proprietor of a small business might feel something toward his customers and make an effort to convey that.  Some companies actually do find a way to survive, spending enough resources and effort on customer satisfaction to overcome the fact that a company is really not a person, and really doesn't have feelings inherently.

Perhaps Adobe once had a heart, but right now, despite the best efforts of some of its fine employees, frankly Adobe comes across as a cold, hard machine.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I have perfomed the update 13.0.1 and it seems to have corrected the problems i try more but seems i fix everything.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to julienlanoo

If this prooves to be the solution to PSCS6 being slow, shouldn't Adobe send us some chocolates with appologies ?

I'll gladly settle for all Bugs to be fixed, and maybe a few feature settings restored. But also, sending out boxes of CS 6+ Master Collection would not be turned down either.

Besides, chocolates just make my keyboard sticky!!!!

See, I agree that little "up" moment, even in trying times, can be OK.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

OK, I found this thread after waiting seven minutes to try and apply a suface blur to a largish photo in Photoshop CS6. In the end, I gave up, (cancelling didn't work), and quit the program without saving. As suggested by someone early in this thread, I have now switched off the 'use graphic processor' in Preferences, repeated steps I took before with the same image and 'hey presto' all works fine. So my question is, what is my solution and what are the implications of leaving the 'graphic processor' off? I am currently running OS Lion, (fully up to date), on a 27inch Mac. I haven't updated to Mountain Lion yet and I am wondering if this will make any difference?

I'm a photographer not a techy, so answers in plain English would be very much appreciated

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to rixie1

@ Rixie 1 -> update to mountain Lion, so you are shure you've got all the latest drivers etc etc..
    Then update to 13.0.1, to be shure you have the latest version of PS CS6,

Install the MAXIMUM of Ram you can install in your computer

Turn off: Time machine, dropbox, ical, mail, safari, any calibration software, icloud sync, any other app's in your launch pad that might be running, menue meters, etc etc..

then put the graphic **** thing on Basic , ( or Off )

And then, it will run a bit better, but only for a few hours ( like 6) , then you have to close Photoshop, and restart you computer, and then it will run again for aprox 6 h fine..

After using PS CS6 13.0.1 now for Most of the weekend without stopping, ( before i had to use CS5.5 as CS6 was **** before the updat), the conclusion is: "it works ok", not faster not slower, but OK, for a time laps of 6 hours, then it's just like it works itself into a hell of a situation, and doesn't see any way out, so it blocks, so after rebooting it's ok..

I'll test deleting Logs after a few hours,  ( well at first keep an eye on them, as i am under the impresison the ASL logs have fun with PS CS6).. see if that helps ..

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

Thanks for your respose julienlanoo. What a situation! I haven't updated to Mountain Lion yet but all my drivers on OS Lion are up to date. I have also downloaded and installed the 13.0.1 update. I'm guessing that an update from either Apple or Adobe will hopefully address this situation soon and I'm a bit p***ed off that I have spent approx £1000 on an update and I have to switch off some of the features. After all, my system meets and exceeds all the requirements listed on the box.

I have been using it for a couple of hours, today and it is currently running OK. Tomorrow, I will probably use it for several hours so I will see if it starts to slow down. As it was working with the Graphic Processor switch off, I assumed that it was a simple matter of waiting for an updated driver but, from what you are saying, the problem appears to go a lot deeper than that.

Reading round the internet, it appears that lots of people are having similar issues so it can't be in Adobe's best interest to leave things like this for too long. I guess it's always the way with a new version and perhaps I should have waited a few months for the bugs to get ironed out. So far I am dealing with two - this one and a disapperaing icon issue - and have workarounds but not solutions for both.

Please le me know if you have any further useful tips for dealing with this. I expected it to just all work straight out of the box like CS5 did!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to rixie1

well what i remarked, is that my SSD is filling up fast when using PS CS6,
    So keep an eye on that, Bridge cache, fills realy fast ( 1 day of work on folders of 100 images, ) and it blocks, and in a chain reaction, PS blocks, so i find my self emptying that to..
    Further keep an eye on your private/var/log/asl folder, empty it in the morning , and at noon, and in the evening..
    You'll see when you're working in PS CS6 it fills up fast to

Mhm, not having loads of time, i discover a bit of at a time what PS CS6 does in caches and library..  so i thing the update is only a hansaplast on a shot woond ... so it bleeds less but it has still problems

From Adobe service, people on this forum form Adobe are realy nice guys, but the official Adobe awnser is: " its your fault, your computer isn't good enough, you need a Lab-setup in zero gravity, and you will see it wil work perfect" ...

hehe

greets

ju

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to julienlanoo

Also keep an eye on this folder: /Users/admin/Library/Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6

When you see Bridge blocks or doesn't work that good any more, just delete the contence, and tataaaa it works again

I empty it when i change to an other series..

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points