Skip navigation
R_S_N_123
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop  CS6 freezes computer

Aug 18, 2012 4:41 PM

Hi, Running 64bit Win 7 Dell Studion XPS system.  I originally installed the Master Suite, but it hung on the Acrobat X install.  So I went in and uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled it.  All other programs in Suite work.  Installed a brand new shiny version, no upgrade, but do have 5.5 on the computer as well.

I have deleted the preferences, viewed the Plugin folder (none found) and am out of options to get this going.

I get to the Spash screen, shows loading plugins for a few seconds, then freezes the entire computer.  Unable to get to process screen so forced to shut down.  I've done this four times now and am out of options. 

I am teaching this software on Tuesday and can't even get it up and running to practice with it.  Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to R_S_N_123

If the entire machine freezes, I'd suspect hardware issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to R_S_N_123

Hard drive going south; improperly seated RAM; RAM gone bad... 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to R_S_N_123

Adobe top engineers have repeatedly told us that no software can freeze a whole computer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to R_S_N_123

Imagine, for a moment, that Photoshop exercises parts of your computer no other software does.  For example, the graphics processor.

Now imagine that video card manufacturers all are working at the very limits of human capability in pushing the envelope and making ever faster and more complex GPUs.  Display drivers do have bugs!

Have you looked to see if you can find an updated display driver on the web site of the maker of your video card?

Tip: If it's an ATI card, specifically seek Catalyst 12.6 - it's better and more reliable for Photoshop than their latest release, Catalyst 12.8.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to R_S_N_123

Everybody says Photoshop is the only thing.. until they find another program that does the same thing, or the fix the defective hardware in their system.

System freezes can only occur due to OS bugs, low level driver bugs, or defective hardware.

And by far the most common cause is bad RAM.

But I've also see bad GPU drivers cause problems (GPU stops responding, system looks hung).

Photoshop does drive the GPU harder than many other applications, and certainly pushes RAM and the CPU harder than most.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Anecdotally I was watching a video made by the designer of the Dell Precision T5600 workstation.  I'm not sure it's a perfect quote but he said something like "RAM errors happen more often than people realize, which is why we design self-diagnosis and use only ECC RAM".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points