• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cfmail glitches in ColdFusion 9 (not sending, but says sent)

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2010 Feb 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the strange behavior with basic cfmail sends in CF9.  CF9 has an entry in the mailsent log  that is was successfully sent but on the MailEnable logs (Mailenable exists on the same server as CF and CF sends all it's l through it) there wasn't even a connection attempt.  Now  this is a my bulk  mail server and I'm probably averaging about 70,000 e-mails a day from that server and most mails go through just fine.

What i've discovered about the few that don't is they have a few things in common. Anything that goes out with a "mailworker" thread works 100% of the time.  Mail that goes out as a "scheduler" thread seems to be 50/50".   There is no spam filter involved here.  I'm just checking logs from the CF side and from the mailenable side.  CF says is was sent....mailenable doesn't ever see an attempt at that time. I've seen this on another of my CF9 servers that relays through our ISP's SMTP server.  CF send it was sent in the mail sent log, but ISP has to record of a conenction attempt let alone a full message at that time.  I think there is a CF9 cfmail bug,  I never had an issue with this on CF8 (or cf7 for that matter).  The setup was exactly the same.  These problems just started a couple mounth ago when we upgraded to CF9.

Anyone have any ideas, or if other people think this sounds like a bug how I can prove it to Adobe?

-Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note to let you know that I'm experiencing the same issue.  Hundreds of emails go out fine and then one will show up as successful in the ColdFusion mailsent logs but will not even appear in the email server logs ~ no error message, not even a connection attempt.  You make a good point about the "scheduler" thread ID and the "mailWorker" thread ID as this has only happened with "scheduler" thread IDs.  I'm on Windows 2008 Enterprise Server (32bit) with ColdFusion Standard 9.01.  The email server is running Merak/IceWarp. I am unable to duplicate the problem; it just happens randomly.  I was going to try a new email server, but if you're experiencing the same problem on a completely different email server it sounds like it very well could be ColdFusion bug. 

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh...finally!  I was really starting to doubt my sanity.  We just upgraded

to Update 1 with CHF 1 hoping that might fix something (although nothing in the fix list indictated it would) but the problem persists.  I'm now 9.01 CHF 1 32bit on Windows Server 2003 Standard.  The mail server is on the same box as this server is pretty much dedicated to e-mail (mostly bulk mailings, but not all) so there are no network devices at all in between...the server is basically delievering the mail to itself, and then out to the internet.  I was using MailEnable 1.0 for the mail server program but upgraded to the most recent version (i think it's version 4) after i started seeing these issues crop after shortly after upgrading to CF9, but that made no difference.  These issues never happened when we were using CF8.

We typically notice it when our support team replies to a customer through our ticketing system that sends e-mails out through CF.  Sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't.  They have gotten into the habit of copying themselves on those e-mails to see if they are actually going out.  If they don't see the e-mail after 10-15 minutes they resend and it seems to work fine on the subsequent try.

Like you, I'm unable to reproduce this on demand, but it does still happen randomly.  I don't have a good understanding of when a thread uses "mailworker" vs "scheduler".  Maybe if i knew more about that i could come up with a hypothosis, but right now I have no idea..  I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about this.  Maybe they just have't noticed.  Hopefully Adobe will take notice of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also suspected a possible network issue, so it's interesting to know that you have the email server on the CF Server box.  I'm using cfmail to send out a notification of an external user form submission, so I can't even use a 'bcc' to catch this problem.  Since the email server is not even showing the connection from CF 9, it's as if CF 9 is just marking the email as sent without any connection to (or confirmation from) the email server.   I have screen shots from the CF 9 mailsent log and the corresponding email server log showing that there is no connection to the email server at the time CF 9 records that it successfully sent the email. Emails before and after the missing email show up in both the CF mailsent log and the email server log and go out as expected.

It seems to be a rare occurrence, so it doesn't surprise me that more people haven't noticed it or they blame it on the emails getting lost in cyberspace.  In the past 3 weeks I've confirmed it happened twice, but that's only because one of my clients noticed it when they received email notification of a new form submission and then found a previous form submission in the database that they did not get an email notice for.  When I looked up the email, CF shows it as sent but it's nowhere in the email server logs.  This is bad because without the email, my clients don't know that a new form has been submitted until they login to my application and check the database; the point of the email is to let them know exactly when they have to check the database for a new form submission.

Does anyone know the difference between a cfmail "mailworker" ThreadID and a "scheduler" ThreadID?   Is there any way to force cfmail to send using a "mailworker" thread?   I guess another idea would be to try spoolenable="no" for the specific cfmail tag since these are not bulk emails.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had another obvoius occurance of this.  I  has a bulk mailing was sent out by a

client to 14 recipients via our web product.  The Coldfusion logs show them all being sent successfully.  The client complained that many recipients did not get the mail.  On the remote side there were only sings of a few of them.

The mailsent log showed these all going out using a "schedule"r thread, while larger bulk mailing occuring both before and after the mailing in question used "mailworker" thread and went out fine.  I'm wondering if the size of tha mailing as something to do with which thread type it uses?  If anyone has any idea how it choose thread type i'd love to know.  Adobe staff...now would be a good time to chime in....

Out of the 14 e-mails the last 5 went out properly.  There were no signs of the first 9 on the remote SMTP server (not even an attempted connection), which resides on the same box as Coldfusion.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this will help, but I filed a bug report at:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Here are two screen shots documenting the problem.

http://www.actionlogic.com/ColdFusion9CFMAILBug01.gif

http://www.actionlogic.com/ColdFusion9CFMAILBug02.gif

The first screen shot is of the CFMail log showing an email went out successfully at 11:47am.  The second screen shot is of the email server logs showing that there wasn't even a connection attempt at 11:47am.  CFMail emails before and after 11:47am are recorded in both logs.

It's too early to tell if this helped or not, but I set spoolenable="No" for the specific CFmail tag I noticed was having a problem. Since it is only a sending out a single email, performance isn't an issue.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried bumping up the mail delivery thread from 10 to 30 (I'm running CF9 enterprise)  under the guess that maybe scheduler thread get used of all the available mailworkers threads are tied up.  I have since seen scheduler threads have still occured while only a few mailworker threads were in use (meaning 20+ mailworker threads free), so I guess that not it.  Howhver on the plus side those particular messages all did go out.  I might have jus been lucky though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are seeing this same behavior in 8.0.1.  Emails using mailWorker threads are sent out fine and emails using scheduler threads are questionable.

UPDATE:  We found that when we send emails within a cfloop of 100, the mailWorker thread is used.  When we tried a singleton or a loop of 2 or 11, the scheduler thread was used.  I imagine that the cutoff ColdFusion uses for choosing between mailWorker and scheduler is somewhere between 11 and 100, but I am not sure that knowing the exact number will help us.  The real problem is figuring why emails sent using the scheduler thread are intermittently failing, but being reported as succeeding.

Message was edited by: Robert_Com99

UPDATE2:  The magic number is 20.  At 19 emails in the loop, the scheduler thread is used, but as soon as we hit 20, it uses the mailWorker thread.  Can anyone else confirm this finding?

Like I said earlier, I don't think that knowing this number helps us much, but I just had to know what it was.

Message was edited by: Robert_Com99

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 on problems with CFMAIL. We are using Google as our SMTP server, and I've even seen headers mixed up (a FROM address used by one mail is used in another!).

Wim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very odd. I'm having the same issues too with CF9 and Windows Server 2008 x64.

Successful mailsent log but no trace of it actually going out anywhere else. I'm using the same machine that CF is running to send the mail. Nothing in inetpub/mailroot folders and nothing in Coldfusion/Mail folders that would indicate it's sitting in there and not going out.

Someone suggested tacking on spoolenable="No" for the cfmail tags and that didn't seem to fix anything either. I've tried both emailing to a single recipient, and a query of recipients (about 10 or so addresses) and no difference.

I'm really at a loss here, especially when I have a few other CFMails through out the site that seem to be working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also tried the spoolenable=false on our server and it did have a slightly different result.  We found that the tread ID was not mailWorker or scheduler - it was jrpp-964 (I am sure this is just one instance of jrpp-XXX).  We had thought about trying this out in our production environment, but it seems that DanomiteDev has already answered the question of whether or not that will resolve the issue.  Adobe - are you out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone made any headway with this, or at least found a serviceable workaround?  I can't believe its been over a year on this and it still hasn't been acklowedged as as issue besides by those of us in this forum.  I seem to be encountering the issue more and more as guess us our clinets begin to notice that not all the mails in their list (or in the case of a short mailing, none at all) are going out.

The thread has been ded for a while so I thought I'd start the conversation back up to hopefully attract some attention to this issue again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we have ANYTHING on this issue/bug?

Our company recently upgraded from MX7 to CF9 Enterprise and we are losing Client Notification Emails at random with these exact symptoms.

This issue should be addressed soon if not an official response.  If not, what point is there in posting on these forums in the first place????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PaulChan_77 wrote:

what point is there in posting on these forums in the first place????

NOT TO GET OFFICIAL SUPPORT.

The forums are to facilitate user to user help and sharing.  Adobe does not officially  monitor or comment in these forums.  Though some engineers are apparently known to moonlight in here occasionally.

IF you need offical comment from Adobe, you need to go through an offical comunication channel.  Not a free to use public forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the Adobe site and posted this as a ColdFusion bug.  The bug ID is 86933:

http://cfbugs.adobe.com/cfbugreport/flexbugui/cfbugtracker/main.html#bugId=86933

If you click the link above, you can "Vote" and "Comment" on this bug; so if it's happening to you please vote and comment on this bug and hopefully it will get more attention.

Tom

ps. There is another bug report (#86905) which refers to a similar CFMAIL problem caused by the SMTP server returning an unknown user error:

http://cfbugs.adobe.com/cfbugreport/flexbugui/cfbugtracker/main.html#bugId=86905

but this doesn't appear to be the case in my situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There already was a cfbug for this, but last I checked nothing had been done with it.  The original bug ID was # 84975

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We grew so fed up with this (well, our clients did) and we looked for paid (unfortunately) outside sources to handle mail.

We turned to postmarkapp.com and I've been really happy with their service. They even had a sample CFC and I didn't even need to roll my own. I might have tweaked it a hair though, I can't recall. Basically it sends up your message to their server wrapped in JSON. It can even handle attachments passed along as base64 (I haven't worked with that part yet though).

There's some great logging and status reports and usage metrics.

This takes a little effort in getting set-up. In order to minimize bounces and keep ISPs happy, you need to add some TXT records to your DNS record to authroize Postmark to send email on your behalf. Also, you can't use them as bulk-mailers, they need to be "transactional based."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only know of one coding error that can cause that to happen:

If you have a comma delimted list of email address (ie. multiple emails) assigned to either the failto or replyto attributes of the cfmail tag, then your email will be logged as sent but will never actually go anywhere.  Im not sure if a process within ColdFusion swallows it without an error or if thats just a standard mail server reaction.  So, check the failto and replyto attributes on your cfmail tag.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same problem with <cfmail> with a bcc list of email address.  I removed the bcc list and the email was sent out without a problem.

(ColdFusion 9.0; Windows Server 2003) I have voted on the bug list.  Thanks.  Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a reminder_page.cfm set in CF administrator as a scheduled task that has the same symptoms - silently fails to send, spooler is empty when we check, log says sent, other logs show ran as scheduled.

We tried all the things noted above to no avail, but we discovered that moving our reminder_page.cfm otuside the /www tree covered by our SSL certificate instantly solved the problem.  Under the SSL cert = no send, outside of it = sends fine.

More details, see my blog at http://ethermuse.blogspot.com/2011/10/adobe-coldfusion-cf-mailer-dies.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever resolve this?  I'm having this exact issue now, but only on messages with an attachement.  I was working fine for several months and just started doing this a few days ago.  I've restarted the server, installed 9.0.1 and hotfix 2 all with no improvement.  CF generated emails with no attachment are sent fine, every time.  With an attachment though, I'm seeing the message in the spool, it goes away, undeliverable is empty, and the cf logs indicate the message is sent successfully.  However, our email server doesn't even show a connection was attempted.  Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved?  I too am having this issue. I reported the bug here: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3313431  please vote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, it was because our Exchange server had a 10MB message size limit. Even though the message was small and the attachment was showing as 7.9MB, the total, once converted to text for emailing it was like 10.2MB and so the server was rejecting it without logging it. Once we removed that limit for the account all email was sent and recieved as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not our case, but even still, wouldn't that throw an error?  Or is it an error that CF just can't catch because it happens after it leaves the spool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CF assumed it was sent ok as it passed the message along to the email server without issue.  It was Exchange that received the message, looked at the size, and then just dropped it without further info.  Apparently that check is done after the message is sent to the email server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation