Skip navigation
C_Cezrix
Currently Being Moderated

New files are saving to old dates...

Aug 18, 2012 9:13 AM

Hi...

We're having a problem with saving files...

The specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate; Photoshop CS6

The problem:

Files are saving to old dates... PSD file created say on Aug 04, 2012. Saved as a TIFF today, August 18. But the date shown in Windows Explorer is July 08, not today's date. Same thing happened with a JPG

This doesn't seem to be happening with PSD files.

Okay, so i looked into the file (the PSD) a bit and saw that the PSD file was derived from another PSD file that had been created on July 08.

Now, for some reason all TIFFs and JPGs are taking the original created date and not the latest modified date.

I've just given one example, but the problem seems to be happening across the board, In some cases, which is how it caught our eye, the file date goes back to Feb, though it was worked on and saved as a TIFF yesterday (August 17).

Am sure it must be a setting problem but where? Grateful if anyone can point me to the solution...

Thanks

C

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to C_Cezrix

Are you actualyl sure you are viewing the modified date, not the "taken" date? Windows reads EXIF/ IPTC datas in formats that support this metadata and JPG and TIFF fit the bill...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to C_Cezrix

What date are you looking at.  Can you please post screenshots to show the specifics?

Also, if you right-click the folder, then choose Properties, and click the Customize tab, what do you see in the "Optimize this folder for" tab?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to C_Cezrix

Since it was set to Pictures I believe it was pulling the "date photo taken" date from within the EXIF data, rather than the file date.

Windows has a bad habit of trying to interpret what's in your folder and assigning one of the folder types.  I've never found that to cause anything but confusion.

There's a really handy registry tweak that can be done to Windows to make it always automatically interpret every folder it encounters as General Items by default, though you can still set individual folders to other views by hand.  I've documented that tweak and many others in my Windows 7 book titled Configure the Windows 7 "To Work" Options.  Here's an excerpt:

BE VERY CAREFUL WHENEVER EDITING THE REGISTRY. #

Set Explorer to Always Use General Items View

Microsoft seems to feel you need to see different views of your files depending on predominantly what kinds of files Explorer finds in your folder.  From our perspective, that just makes Explorer more difficult to use.  They're all files, and we'd like to see them consistently in one way:  "General Items" view, showing the name, folder, date, etc.

• Click Start, type regedit into the search box, then hit Enter.

• If you do not want Explorer to try to auto-detect Folder Types but always use "General Items" for all, add this new String Value:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Local Settings \

Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ AllFolders \ Shell]

FolderType  REG_SZ  NotSpecified

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 19, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to C_Cezrix

Yes, the latter:  Create a value containing a String right in Shell.  Then once it's created and empty, double click it to edit it then type in:  NotSpecified

This is how it should end up looking:

RegEditFInished.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to C_Cezrix

Hate to be a bubble pricker (no, I enjoy it! ) but I don't have the problem the OP has. I deliberately opened a pdf, flattened it and saved it as a tiff. In Bridge I see that the dates track correctly, no discrepancy. Further, Folder Properties say Pictures and there is no entry in the Registry either. Explorer has both the created and modified and Accessed as today's date. That makes sense because I did actually create the tiff today. (Explorer speaks Martian )

BUT...

if I open a tiff in ACR (as it is supposed to do), do nothing, then further open it in PS, do nothing, exit without Save Changes (no changes at all along the line) then look at it in Bridge, it says "Modified Today" which it wasn't. Also File Info does correctly record the dates as they were before doing the above routine. So there is a discrepancy of another sort going on.file info.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to C_Cezrix

Please read the thread carefully.

I did, and I also attepted to replicate your condition and I could not. But I did see a different discrepancy.

Before running Noel's routine, or any other for that matter, I want to have as complete an understanding concerning all replicatable factors. For instance, had I not checked how tiffs were behaving here, my response would have been: "I don't see the problem the OP has. My system runs as expected."

When I am presented with a computer problem, I attempt to understand it from both specific and general terms. I catch interesting sightings along the way.

BTW, my report here is not intended to be exhausive, as it might have to be, but I don't get paid here for going the distance. So I pick and choose my investigations.

Cheers also!

-Lawrence

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 19, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Lawrence, investigate the options for showing additional columns of data in "Pictures" view.  There are a lot that are not shown by default, but your settings for showing/hiding various columns may be set differently than others'.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

One possibility is that "...apply this template to all subfolders" is unchecked.

I changed to "General Folders" and checked the subfolder box.

Hmm, I remember a fellow who lived in my old neighborhood whose last name was Fowlders. I believe he was a General in the Army or whatever!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to C_Cezrix

Ok I did another one, this time being sure that the Explorer settings is Pictures with the subfolders checked. I still do not see the things that you do, or I am not looking correctly. So here are two shots, one of the tiff in Bridge with the data and the other of the Explorer info.

Fileinfo2.JPGFileinfo2_1.JPG

As you can see, the explorer data all say today's date, which also agree with the info in Bridge So far as Explorer is concerned, this is an all-new image, which of course, it isn't. Is that the problem? I seldom refer to Explorer except if I am going to move a batch of shots, so I don't check the dates.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points