• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

add fields so clients can sign electronically and send back

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read a bunch of discussions about how to add fields to forms but none of them answered all my questions.

What I'd like to do is add a signature and text field (for date) to a PDF so that my clients can send them back signed electronically. I do not want to use EchoSign.

I have Acrobat Pro v9.5.2. I added a signature field and text field per http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/acrobat/pdf/A9-creating-accessible-pdf-forms.pdf. I read on an Adobe forum that I was supposed to go to Save as > Reader Extended to allow the user to sign the document and send back to me signed. However, all I have as save options are Save or Save As. There's no Save As > Reader Extended option and when I choose Save As the "Save as type" does not include Reader Extended either.

Please post step by step instructions for how to do this (add 2 fields, save doc, send to client, have them sign and fill in fields and send back to me completed). Surely we can do this with 9 yes?

Thanks so much in advance!

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's different in Acrobat 9: Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, just did and it's not giving me that option. It's greyed out. I added fields and then went to it.

So step by step, what do I do? I just added the fields and am still in Form Editing mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to leave form editing mode first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, can you lead me to a link to learn more? Surely there are only one or two steps before I get to the Extend Features. Can you please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you add the fields in form editing mode, close out of form editing mode and then select the "Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader" menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I did that and closed out and reopened to see what client will see. This is the dialogue box that pops up when I open it. Is this correct? If so, what do they do? If not, what did I do wrong.

It won't let me upload the image. Here's what it says:

Add Digital ID

I want to sign this document ID from:

A File

A roaming digital ID accessed via server

A device connected to this computer.

A new digital iD I want to create now.

If you could give step by step directions from start to finish so I can send this off and explain to client what they need to do that would be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't think so, I just watched it. So close but I have v9.5.2 so when I open doc in Adobe Reader I don't get the same options from Tools as the person in the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait......just figured it out. This video was very helpful. Thank you Test Screen Name!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was planning to do, George, but I had no idea what was required next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here are full instructions for version 9.5.2 in case they're helpful to anyone:

How to add digital signature field to PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.5.2:

1. Open PDF in Acrobat (Right click > Open with > Acrobat)

2. Go to Forms > Add or Edit Fields

3. Pop up box > select NO

4. Click "Add New Field" button on top left > select Digital Signature

5. Guideline-type things will appear > drag to where you want field.

6. Click on the signature field and change name if you'd like.

7. Click "Close From Editing" button on top left.

8. Go to Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader > Save Now

9. Save it where you'd like

How to Digitally Sign a Document with Adobe Reader

1. Double click the signature field on the bottom right of the contract. A pop up box will appear.

2. If it's the first time you'll be signing anything in Adobe Reader, select bottom option, "A new digital ID I want to create now" > click Next

3. Fill in your name and email (required) > click Next

4. Enter a password and then again in "Confirm password" and write down your password somewhere so you'll remember

5. Click Finish. You're now ready to sign doc

6. Enter the password you just created into "Password" field

(To import graphic of your signature, from "appearance" field, select "Create New Appearance" > Enter title like "signature" > click "Imported graphic" option > click "File" (not sure but file might need to be a PDF) > click Okay and click okay again.

7. Click "Sign"

8. Save document - give it a name > Save.

9. You should see signature in the signature field

At any point in future you can come back to signature and right click (or ctrl click if mac):

You can clear, validate, etc.

If doc has been modified, you can "view signed version" or "show signed properties".

Edit > Protection > Security Settings

You can see any digital IDs you've set up, remove, add new ones, look at usage options,

For more help, you can watch this video on "How to Digitally Sign a Document with Adobe Reader"

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/acrobat-x/how-to-digitally-sign-a-document-with-adobe-reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. They will want to use the last option. I'm not going to provide detailed instructions, in part because I don't have time, but mostly it's important for you to go through the process of creating a digital ID and using it to apply a signature. Once you understand what's involved, you can create the instructions yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines