I am unsure if this is taking a long time because i am rendering a dynamicly linked file or because there is something going on with my system.
The file type/codec is mts / avchd @1080p24. It is only 3m40s long. The Dynamic link is with AE out of the CS5 Masters suite.
so far it has been rendering for 3h32m. That sems incredibly long on a Macpro 3.0 quad with 8gigs ram.
What the deal here?
Heres a tip. Render any dynamically linked clips in AE then export as a movie and replace the DL clip on the time line. AE renders much faster then AE. I know...it flies in the face of DLs, but thats what an Adobe employee once told me to do..
Once you get the DL link locked down so you like it, do as I suggested. If you have fast processors AE will do it quicker.
One cool bonus thing is this. After exporting your movie from AE and importing it into PP, there is XMP data included in your movie file. That means if you decided later you need to change anything on the AE movie clip in PrP, just right click on that clip (on the timeline) and select Edit Original. It will then open that AE project so you can make revisions. Bing, bang, boom!
You've probably figured it out by now, but it's unusual for a render to take that long, given your specs, with our without Dynamic Link. You probably got faster renders by rebooting or simply relaunching your app. Or, by trashing prefs or removing corrupt media from your sequence.
Lasvideo, that's a pretty cool tip. I didn't know about that.
But, I wonder if using XMP data in Ae is similar to in Pr. I have found a serious downside there. I forget which check box does it (one of the two with XMP in them), but media files are modified whenever they're opened in a project. This is only really a problem when I do backups, which is daily or sometimes, even more often: I keep my media and project data together in the same folder. My cloning software sees that the media has changed, and then re-copies and verifies the media to my backup disk. When I have over 100 GB of media in a project (which is not that unusual), the backup process can take hours, and not seconds, which is the case when just the project, auto-saves, and Previews have been changed. Because of this, I keep those XMP boxes unchecked, and live with the consequences.
Well, I did save about 30mins on the render. But still longer than anything that i have rendered before. I did use something new in AE and that was RedGiant DeNoise2.
I have a 25min project i did in pp using all DL clips for CC & effect and it did not take this long. It is MTS and while i like the fact that Pr can handle that I have always wondered what is Pr's favorite codec. I dont like to do intermediate codecs but i do like having which ever nle use run smoothly at high performance levels.
I think its a system bottle neck now. So i will repair permissiions, dump system caches, trash prefs and restart to see if that helps.
I did try the Neat Video trial, but could not get it working. Tried the Red Giant trial and that worked, so that's what I went with, happy with results, although it needs to render overnight.
Europe, Middle East and Africa