Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating page curls in a PDF

Aug 19, 2012 11:09 AM

I've got CS6 on Windows 7 64 bit. Trying to create a PDF with page curls for our catalog. Found this video: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/csinsider-design/indesign-creating-interacti ve-pdfs-with-page-turn-and-flash-animations/ and though great! - this is exactly what I want to do. Well l can't get it to work. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I'm just trying to do what he did in the first half of this video with the page curl. Not concerned about the animation. Is something different in CS6 compared to CS5.5 he's using? I don't have Flash installed, not sure if that matters, but the options of a .swf file is available under Export and that's what I chose. Thanks.

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to mc_mark

Getting page curl effect to PDF is a bit tricky... why don´t you just publish your catalogue as SWF? If you want to get more controls than what InDesign alone offers, check http://www.edocker.fi/index.php/en/products/edocker2-desktop-publisher /

You can download and use it few days for free.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to mc_mark

I'va also had poor experiences trying to get animations from SWF into a PDF file. I consider it to be kind of a hack, and no usually worth it trying to get it to work. It's not likely that this will ever change.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to mc_mark

Here's my $0.02 and you can take it or not.

Create it as "just an old fashioned PDF" and use an attractive design with good navigation and you will have a much better product to present your reader. It's about the content not some silly page curl affect that will prevent your catalog from being viewed on any mobile devices.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to mc_mark

Nice video but doesn't quite cut it. Mac and PC versions are slightly different but that's okay. 

I can make page curls but whereas I used to get the nice shade on the curl with CS5.5 since installing CS6, I can no longer do that. Why is that? What happened to shadow effect?

P.S. Posting dates on this site are out of whack by at least 7 to 8 months.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 16, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to mc_mark

It worked for me with CS6 and AcrobatX. Views correctly in Reader, AcrobatX, and via my Safari browser plugin, but not in Preview. Here's my test:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/StobartTest.pdf

The framerate does drop to almost unusable when you zoom in or go to full screen on a large monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Unless you created a one-page totally blank PDF, Bob is 100% right in his obsv that ot won't open on my iPad. If that platform may be important for the target audience, don't do it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 16, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

There's no way around Apple's Flash ban on their mobile devices.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Nor any other mobile device for that matter.

There is no Flash player available for any new mobile device...PERIOD.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to mc_mark

I love this video! It worked for me. Did you get it to work?

Does anyone know how to make a vertical page curl so that it would go from bottom to top?

Here is an example of what I want to do: http://pageflip.hu/demo_vertical.html

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 9, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to flutter_x0x0

Not exporting a .swf out of ID. You could export .fla but would need to be able to code the curl via ActionScipt.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points