Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,514 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

ATI Catalyst 12.8 and Photoshop

Aug 18, 2012 7:38 AM

I've been enjoying nearly flawless performance from the Catalyst 12.6 driver set for my Radeon HD 5670 on Windows 7 x64, but as I always need to test new driver releases for my own products, I'm about to download Catalyst 12.8, released on August 15th, and see how it works with Photoshop CS6 et. al.

The drivers are here (for Windows 7 x64):  http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64. aspx

The release notes are here:  http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVer sion128ReleaseNotes.aspx

I'll report back when I've got the drivers in and have done some initial tests. 

I invite and encourage you to post your experiences with Catalyst 12.8 here as well.

-Noel

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Ok, thanks, I'll hold off for awhile. Maybe the next point release.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Flukes and computers kind of go hand in hand. LOL.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks for your efforts, Noel. We share the same GPU. I've already updated to 12.8 and haven't noticed any problems, but I don't do 3D. I'll keep an eye on its behaviour.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Funny, installer issues was what I was talking to the ATI guy about today at the office...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

After having contacted ATI, they suggested that rather than install Catalyst 12.8 as a direct upgrade to 12.6, I should instead uninstall the older driver first then install the new one.

I'm surprised you say that. I thought it was accepted procedure to always uninstall the existing video driver first. I thought some people even run a cleaner utility too, before installing the new driver.

I don't know why video drivers specifically should give so many problems. If the installation supports upgrade, then it should work just as well, or not at all. It makes me wonder if I should take as much care with all of my different driver updates.

It's things like this which give PCs a bad name. I've been working with PCs for 25 years, and know their inner workings pretty well; what chance does a relative beginner have with this sort of unpredictable behaviour?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to Yammer

thats suppose to be the job of the installer, but then again, it also depends on who wrote the installation script. so far I haven't had to uninstall first. But with the issues Noel described, it may be my first.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Yammer

On the ATI site they recommend uninstalling the old driver first before updating to a newer one (they have a few video guides that include this information). They've had this up on the site for quite a while now, probably at least a couple of years. So I agree, I thought it was pretty strandard practice, although it's a shame ATI can't incorporate removing the old driver into their installer.

Anyway, thanks for testing this out Noel. I was considering updating to 12.8, but to be honest, I was hoping you might post something about it before I went ahead!

M

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Having been a telecommuter for years, then running my own business with a geographically separated team, I have developed a pretty good intuition about what's happening elsewhere, and I sense a change - a change in management or funding or culture or something - at AMD/ATI with regard to their GPU driver development in about the last year.  Most notably, they've just recently changed from a monthly release cycle to something longer.  Whatever is changing there, it doesn't seem to be for the better.

Maybe it's time to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence again? Before my 5670, my last few graphics cards had been nVidia. I swapped allegiances because of endless nVidia driver problems. My last ATI card was a Rage3D. Well, I say "last"; I then bought a Radeon, but ended up swapping it for an nVidia card after it had a 'disagreement' with the rest of the computer.

I'm not involved with PC hardware nearly as much as I used to be, when I worked in system building. The last time I did product research, I got the impression that nVidia was good but over-priced and ATI was good value but under-powered.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Yammer

No problems with CS6 and an Nvidia GTX560Ti card running the latest driver 301.42 (WHQL) and more recently the 304.79 beta driver.  I had a load of problems with an ATI card and drivers some months ago and moved to Nvidia then.   No problems since.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel

I had a very old ATI drivers so I though why not update.  I think I had 10.9 installed. I updated to 12.2 tough the drivers seem to work well the Catalyst Control Center crashes nevet put anything on screen. So I updated to 12.4 thing are the same CCC crashes. Installed 12.8 drivers seem to work well ADM I have installed work as does Photoshop to the best of its ability.  CCC.exe crashes.  Any idea as to how I can get Catalyst Control Center operational? I did see a very old ATI entry in the control palem Programs and removed that and the reinstalled 12.8 CCC still crashes on me..  In the programs all I see is AMD Catalyst Install Manager and the two AMD demo Ladybug and Mecha I have a HD 5770.

In the windows start meme the a Catalyst Control Center shortcut for "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe" as well as in the widows right click popup window. Window 7 Pro 64bit

AMDdrivers.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to JJMack

I decided to not install Catalyst Control Centre. It serves no useful purpose, so I uncheck it during installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The Catalyst 12.8 driver would not load my monitor calibration files (*.icm), so I rolled back to 12.6 which works fine.  One thing I noticed is that uninstalling the 12.8 drivers (using the install manager) was very slow; it took 5 or 6 times longer than normal. 

-materialsguy

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

with ATI Catalyst 12.8 (HD7970) Liquify filter not work (error message) and 3D (black screen)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No effect

rollback to 12.6

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to mitrofun

mitrofun,

When you say Liquify does not work, what exactly does that mean? Do you see a black preview screen. Do you drop back to CPU mode?

What is the text in the error message?

-John

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 12:36 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

hi

Radeon HD 4000 Series is not more supported by ati

i guess the lastest drivers are 12.6

is right?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

yes to me too

no 12.8 avaible

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

yes so ati drivers 12.6 are the last!

thanks Noel

did you give a look at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4816359#4816359 ^

thanks

cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I did 12.8 . I have had no problems with installation or operations save the fact that OpenCL keeps unchecking itself, as it always has, no matter the driver. I am beginning to believe it is a HW problem but it would be ironic as the system is all AMD! (cpu, chipset and video.) OTOH, DXO uses it also and it never unchecks there.

I let the installer do all the work.

I've had three CS6 crashes just before installing 12.8, one of which was atio6axx.dll. So far, no crashes, with CS6 running continuously.

I ran liquify before responding and it runs fine.

I can't say that 12.8 is any better than 12.6, or worse (except for the new version of DXO which is buggy anyway!).

I am experiencing system behavior changes, subtle things like when CS6 firsts opens and that hasn't changed either.  The most glaring is CS6 now takes 14 sec to open, and that's not after first booting the OS. It used to be 1/2  that, and that's also no different than 12.6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Beta you say. I assume you did a Carboni sweep of the drivers before installing (I'll have to content myself with Driver Sweeper. )

So, what happens if the RTP is actually different thn the bata?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I can only suggest uninstalling everything then reinstalling, JJ.  That's what worked for me.

CCC in my case provides the ability for me to manage my color calibration, and it makes it easy to check versions, but otherwise I agree - it's not all that useful.

I haven't mentioned that, while I use CCC, there are a lot of things ATI installs that I do disable - I remove a couple of things from the Path, I make one registry tweak to avoid having bunches of meaningless events logged, and I hide the root level Start menu they insist in putting in.  I also disable the System Tray icon, since it's easy to access the CCC by right-clicking the desktop.

-Noel

Remove, like what, specifically?

And, how does CCC figure in to calibration? I leave it strictly alone as it usually fouls things up.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I just finished 12.11 and wow! I'm back to a 7 sec load time for PS. Thanks for the tip. Now I hope that beta doesn't have a fatal bug somewhere! A sneak peek at Performance shows Open CL checked as well. I have to wonder though, why DxO isn't affected.

I looked at C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86 on my computer and only thex86_ 64 folder is present. Now, do you delete this folder, and if so, what is the outcome?

I can't imagine calibrating a monitor that way, especially as the profiler tool looks at a significant number of patches, something the eye would never be able to match.

To each his own.

-L

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)