Skip navigation
taw_rex@bigpond.net.au
Currently Being Moderated

WDM Capture Video Corruption

Aug 14, 2012 5:33 PM

Hi All,

I am currently evaluating a trial version of Premiere Elements 10. Running on WindowsXP 32bit, Intel Core i7 980X, 4Gb RAM, nVidia 580GTX.  (This machine is Windows XP due to a requirement of my Nikon Film Scanners)

I am able to create a new project using the "PAL - Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder - Standard 48kHz" preset.

Project Settings.jpg

I then select "Get Media" from the Project Panel, and select "Webcam or WDM device"

The "Capture" window is then displayed. My WDM Device, an AverMedia HD Pro PCIe analog capture device is already selected, the Capture window displays a preview of my analog input (from a PAL VCR via a TBC and S-Video input to the AverMedia Capture device).

The preview display is rendered correctly, audio is available and everything looks OK. I then press "Capture".

After recording the Project panel displays the first frame of the captured video, however the recording is severly distorted! I have tried various PAL presets for the Project but all captures from the analog card look the same. They display correctly in the Capture Dialog Window but are badly distorted in the recorded AVI file. Interestingly the audio track plays correctly behind this mess.

Corrupt Video.jpg

This should be a plain blue screen with a line of white text!

If I look at the AVI file with GSpot everything looks OK. It is PAL, interlaced, bottom field first. The codec is listed as DVSD - DVC/DV Video.

GSpot Data.jpg

Does anyone recognise what might be going on here?  I would really like to use Premiere Elements for my captures if possible.

Many Thanks,

Trevor

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to taw_rex@bigpond.net.au

My first guess would be that, since you're using the trial version of the program, you don't have the necessary component to work with this type of video.

Once the product is purchased and registered, the program will automatically download and install the necessary components as you work.

Unfortunately, I don't know any way to test that theory without actually buying the program.

Your G-spot report though seems to contradict that. Although your project should not use the project settings you're using for this type of video anyway. You should be using the DV project settings.

So first try starting a project using DV project settings and see if you get the same results.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to taw_rex@bigpond.net.au

Try capturing your video with WinDV or Exsate DV Capture Live. You should then be able to import the DV file into PRE with a PAL DV Standard setting. Expect large files - DV runs at around 13GB per hour.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers