Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Migrating settings, actions, plug-ins etc. from CS5 to CS6 (Creative Cloud)

Aug 20, 2012 8:17 AM

Tags: #migrate #upgrade_creative_suite #upgrade_help #creative_cloud_installation #upgrade_question #migration_mac

Hi,

I wondered if someone could help me with the transition from CS5 to CS6 (Creative Cloud). I'm on a Mac with Mountain Lion.

I would like to migrate as many settings (i.e. workspaces where relevant), personal Photoshop actions, plug-ins (i.e. Type DNA, FontShop [Photoshop], Scriptographer [Illustrator] and Blurb Template Creator [InDesign]) as possible from CS5 to CS6. What is the easiest and smoothest way to do this?

Some settings, actions and plug-ins might not work with CS6, I don't know. I can't find where my Photoshop actions are archived atm.

Can I import extensions from Adobe Extension Manager CS5 to Adobe Extension Manager CS6?

Should I uninstall all CS5 apps? I'd like to keep InDesign CS5 for backwards compatibility at least.

Does Audition completely replace Soundbooth? What about Flash Catalyst, Device Central and OnLocation?

Edit: I have already installed all the Creative Cloud applications btw. But I haven't uninstalled any CS5 apps yet.

Thanks,

Eivind

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to eivind80

Hi Elvind,

I would suggest keeping both CS5 and CS6 versions on the system until you are fully transitioned, longer if you want. When you launch Photoshop CS6 it will ask you if you want to import settings from the prior version. Third party plug-ins may or may not be compatible between versions so you might need to check with the manufacturer to find out. You would most likely need to reinstall any third party plug-ins that integrate into existing Adobe product installations though.

I found this document for Photoshop CS6

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preset-migration-photoshop-cs6.htm l

For the PS actions, I normally open the actions panel, highlight the actions set (folder) I wanted to migrate, from the flyout menu of the panel choose the option to save the set, this creates the .atm file. There is another option for importing actions in the same menu.

I can't speak to migrating in relation to the other products. I would recommend posting in the respective product forums.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to eivind80

Glad that helped. I posted the wrong link but I fixed it now.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to David__B

Still doesn't work for me.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preset-migration-photoshop-cs6.htm l

Plus this FAQ

FAQ: How do I migrate my saved presets from an earlier version of Photoshop or import/export them?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4287533

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to John Waller

That is the correct one, thanks John.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status