Skip navigation
Jodifish
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?

Mar 13, 2012 3:21 AM

Tags: #cs5 #fonts #mac #indesign_cs5

I've run into a problem that I think might be caused by Suitcase Fusion 3 [Version 14.2.0 (319)], but I'm wondering if anyone here is having any issues with InDesign and Suitcase Fusion like I am?

Just about every time I launch an InDesign document or an Illustrator document (don't seem to have the issue in Photoshop, strangely enough) it pretty much crashes to the point where it's a force quit. Before anyone asks the question, this is what I've done - I've reformatted my hard disk (even writing 0s!), done a clean install of Lion (10.7.3), clean install of Creative Suite 5 (and updates), clean install of Suitcase (and updates)...you get the idea. I'm still ending up with crashing just about every time I open a document in these two apps.

As an experiment I downloaded a (fully functioning) trial version of FontAgent Pro (which I didn't like, btw) and didn't encounter any crashing at all in either application.

I've opened a ticket with Adobe to see if they have any details as to whether this is a known conflict or whatever (though I don't hold much hope for getting help from them since it's looking more like a Suitcase issue than a Creative Suite one).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to try and resolve this?

I'm in the middle of producing two magazines and I really really don't need this! Lol

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Jodifish

The suitcase Autoactivation plugin is known to cause problems for some users. Generally downloading the latest version for Extensis solves it, so either you haven't really got the latest, or there's something else going on.

Please follow the directions for getting hang and crash reports here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4199358#4199358 and someone will be able to confirm if the problem is really suitcase.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to Jodifish

You say "it pretty much crashes to the point where it's a force quit." Is it crashing, or is hanging (where it seems like nothing is happening)?

We have the Extensis Universal Type Server and Client, and we get the "hang" if we have "Activate Fonts in Embedded Objects" active. You might check and see if that is an option in the Auto-activation Prefs in InDesign and Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Jodifish

Jodi,

Please contact our support team directly to chat through your issue. Support is always free.

http://www.extensis.com/support

Jim Kidwell

Extensis

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to Jodifish

Peter, would you know if I can update directly from Suitcase Fusion 3 (14.0.2) to 14.2? Or would I have to update the program, incrementally, from one patch to the next? I am experiencing the problem that is being discussed here and evidently this machine that I am working on has not been kept up to date.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to SIcsempertyrannis

Just open the program and check for updates.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Wow! Im embarrassed! Thank-you, Bob!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to Jodifish

Sure-I think it would be helpful to know what steps to take if it helps resolve your problem; others can then follow suit.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Jodifish

Have you ever weighed the cost of the time you've lost versus the cost of buying Linotype Font Explorer Pro? You could put all this behind you.

I used to run a production department and saw Suitcase break repeatedly with what seemed like every Mac OS update. Extensis is great at recognizing this and getting after a fix, but in the meantime I've got work to do. Since moving to Linotype, we've had zero problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Jodifish

I've had the same issues as you using Adobe CS5, Suitcase Fusion 14.2.0, and Lion 10.7.3. All programs and my OS have the latest updates. I've had the same freezing issues on my late 2008 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo) as well as my Late 2010 iMac (12GB RAM, i7). I did a clean install on both machines for Lion. The freezing occurs in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

I contacted Extensis, and submitted my crash reports as they sugguest. Apparently the only way to fix the issue is to revert back to Fusion 14.0.6. Option 2 didn't work on either machine. Until now, I've been a Fusion evangelist, however it appears that I may need to look into Linotype's Font Explorer X. The last response I got from Extensis was on Februray 16th, 2011, and they still say that they are unable to re-produce the freezing in-house. Again, I do love Suitcase Fusion - especially its support for Google Webfonts and WebINK - however having lost files that I forget to save and leave running in the background, its causing me to lose money and time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Jodifish

Sorry for the inconvenience. We continue to investigate the issue and will provide info as it becomes available. Please continue to contact us so that we can narrow in on the issue. Once we determine the cause we will issue an update. Thanks for your patience.

Jim Kidwell

Extensis

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to jkidwell

I've been having the same problem--constantly. Did the uninstall according to the instructions above, but I was unable to copy my backup font vault into the new Library location (get an error message that it can't be replaced (perhaps because the backed up version is from a newer file version than the vault that gets created) -- don't have the errro message handy. I copied most of my files back in and that seems to have helped some, but now Acrobat has been giving me problems.

May have to look at font explorer.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to posterns

Most of these problems above are a problem with the plugin, it's been there for a long while as far as I know and it is very annoying. I have found that, logging out ( I know?!) and logging back in with the user account that is having the problem solves it. Don't ask me how?! Come on Extensis...please fix this. I have seen these errors all around the internet for months if not years.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to James Garnham

Suitcase Fusion 4 is available. I've been using it on Mac and Windows for CS5, CS 5.5 and CS6 since its release and have had zero problems to date. It's a very nice upgrade and worth considering.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points