Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Aligning 3D items with Vanishing Point's perspective planes .?

Aug 18, 2012 12:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm really wanting to utilize CS5's powerful 3D capabilites, but am at a loss on how to properly align 3d items in perspective to the filter Vanishing Point's planes. I hope I'm making sense..

I'm building a digitial room setting, and want to place a simply painting (extrusion created with Repousse, texture layer merged down onto 3D layer) on the wall in proper perspective, with an extruded canvas like so:

screen.jpg

This took plenty of time to accomplish. Nudging, moving, stretching, etc.. You can see my gridlines of course there created by the Vanishing Point filter. Is there an easier or quicker way to match up 3d objects within PS to these perspective planes other than doing it visually this way? It's very time consuming.

Thanks in advance!!

Andy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to Andymc7

I've never used the 3D in CS5, but maybe the camera offers orthographic (non-perspectival like a house plan and front elevation, etc) views of top/bottom/right/left/front/back with your objects and the planes displayed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to conroy

Vanishing Point function isn't strictly 3D, but a separate filter that offers things like the ability to clone stuff and have it be the right shape and size in the place it is cloned to.  For example, in the above image, the painting could be moved to the left or right and take on the shape/size so that it would look like it was physically moved.

Out of curiosity, Andy, is your intent to be able to move things around?  Or have you found a more sophisticated way to use it?

I have only used the Vanishing Point filter a few times, and I only ever saw the need to define the plane for the specific things I was (Clone) Stamping - not model the entire reality of the photo.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

In CS6 Extended, at least, the Vanishing Point filter can create a 3D Layer containing the defined planes as "postcards" and a camera set up to match the perspective defined by the floor plane (which has to be the first one drawn, I believe). I'm not saying that it works reliably, though.

Then you would merge a 3D Layer containing your object to be rendered with that layer containing the temporary "postcards" and camera.

That's why I suggested using the orthographic views and these planes to position the painting on the wall plane. It will need a little sliding on the wall plane to get it into the required position. Then hide the "postcards", render the object and composite with the original image.

I don't know if CS5 Extended can do all that, though.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 18, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to conroy

Cool!  Something else to experiment with.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 10:56 PM   in reply to Andymc7

You can rotate the camera to see top down, this will allow you a better view to align objects depth wise. there are also preset for viewing top, bottom, left, right, front or back and finally default perspective. If I recall it has a few preset for other perspective views, but that is moot for this thread.

Since the vanishing point filter produces a 2d mesh, from the top, it would look like a single line since it does not have any depth.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points