Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing Illustrator files into InDesign

Aug 20, 2012 7:32 AM

Hi, I'm after some InDesign/Illustrator help... I work in InDesign and create documents which often has a lot of illustrator filesin them. Everything seems to work ok and I definitely prefer to put in vector graphics then raster them, however when it comes to creating a PDF of the document it end up being massive. I think it has something to do with the illustrator files that I place into InDesign, but I'm not sure how to make the illustrator files reduce in size when it comes to PDF-ing them from InDesign.

Is there any simple tricks when saving the illustrator file? Would it be better to save them as PDF's? Or does that not make any difference?

Any tips would be gratefully received!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to jobatstone

Best way is to save your .ai file with pdf compatible, that way if you edit the .ai file later the changes wil update in InDesign without having to create another file.

Cannot answer as to why your .pdf files are getting larger without knowing the contents. If you have a placed hi-res image in .ai, that would quckly give you larger file size.

Can we get a screenshot or some more information?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Wasn't there a way to save an AI file without the +100K of Color Profile data?

(Another big, big part is the "native AI data", but I'd have to check if that ends up in an ID generated PDF as well.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points