Skip navigation
beezooka
Currently Being Moderated

Broken images displaying in Design view?

Oct 17, 2011 9:58 AM

Tags: #problem #image #html #cs5.5 #dreamweaver #broken #not_displaying #design_view

So this might be an obvious solution that I've somehow glossed over, but I'm completely baffled as to why none of my remotely hosted images show up as anything besides broken in Design view, in Dreamweaver CS5.5. The images display just fine in previews, once actually online, when I choose Live View/Live Code/Inspect, but not at all when just editing with Design/Split view.

Things I have checked:

- Display External Files is checked (I tried turning it off, restarting, making sure there wasn't a difference in view, turning it on and restarting again. No change)

- image sources are absolute.

- image file types are all acceptable web files (jpg, png, gif)

- my site preferences have been set to "Always show Remote files" with the Dependant files prompts not checked (though I have tried with them checked as well)

- my Windows firewall is not blocking Dreamweaver CS5.5

- a co-worker with the same version of Dreamweaver is not having this problem at all

When I right-click on a broken image and choose "design notes" it says that Dreamweaver could not find the file and either displays nothing (message is "Could not find file:") or, if the html is saved locally, a file path to a local directory PLUS the absolute file path (message example: "Could not find file: ////local folder/www.host.com/filename.jpg").

I've tried defining the ftp server as well as leaving it local and there's no difference. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and as I said Dreamweaver CS5.5, however I was running into this problem when I was on Windows XP and Dreamweaver CS3. When I upgraded to the modern world, I got a brand new computer so nothing was carried over from the old machine except this weird issue.

I've never experienced this problem on any of my home versions of Dreamweaver, which is why I'm so confused and unsure of what the issue may be.

I love the Adobe Support Forums, you guys are VERY helpful, and I hope I can get a working solution to this little issue that's making my job just that much more annoying!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2011 10:39 AM   in reply to beezooka

The file:/// is the reason the images are not showing up.  That means it's looking on your hard drive.  If this file you are working with is in a defined site make sure when you copy in the image path you are copying the address into the "URL" field at the bottom of the window and not the "file name" field closer to the OK button.  Also make sure that there is not a leading "/" to confuse DW and make it think the file is on your computer. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 11:05 AM   in reply to beezooka

Can we see a screenshot of the page in DW and possibly live code?

Also if it's happening only on your installation, it could be corruption or something wrong on your computer.  You could try #4 and #12 from the following FAQ (and yes I am aware the FAQ is unrelated, but it's the quickest way I know to find those links) http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405604.html .Or you may have to consider creating a new user account, or re-installing the app.

I'd recommend trying it in that order to see what's going on.  It's a strange problem I've honestly never come across before and on my local copy I don't know how to duplicate the issue which makes me think more towards corruption vs a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 11:31 AM   in reply to beezooka

Picasa says "Picture not found".

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to beezooka

One of our team members is having exactly the same problem.

To make things more mysterious, no one else on the team is having the problem, and we're all using the same Dreamweaver Defined Site!

I found the answer at: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1029863#1029863

Under the VIEW menu check "Display External Files" and restart Dreamweaver.

That solved the mystery for us ... mostly.  5 of the 6 images registered, but leaving one unfixed.  Maybe another restart...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points