Skip navigation
Ian_T07
Currently Being Moderated

PGC Error - Again

Aug 20, 2012 10:31 AM

I have Googled away, trying to get a solution, but with poor results.

I am using CS6 Production Premium. I exported a Premiere timeline (footage is 1440x1080) using the PAL Widescreen Mpeg-2-DVD preset. Over in Encore, I created a single menu project. "Check project" shows all is OK but, then, when I hit the "Build" option to burn a DVD, I get -

PGC "File" has an error at 00:16:32:02, internal software error, %0, line "file" - PGC info: name = "File", ref = Fpgc, time = 00:16:32:02

The stated "time" location is in the middle of a clip. There are no gaps in the video in the Premiere timeline and no audio tracks extend beyond the video, which totals 17mins.

I then took the original sequence and nested it into a new PAL WS sequence and exported from there, but I still get the same error message, albeit the timecode has shifted from the one generated in the original error message.

I have never had this problem with Encore before,

Please HELP me out of this one...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to Ian_T07

I then took the original sequence and nested it into a new PAL WS sequence and exported from there

Did you give the file the same name as the original -- IOW, did you overwrite the original file?  Had you similarly altered the original file before performing the above test?

Fiddling with assets' locations outside of Encore, or overwriting previous versions of assets with new, modified versions are the usual suspects that will generate the PGC error.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Ian_T07

The issue was more prevalent in earlier versions of Encore -- yours is the first (maybe second?) that I have heard of using CS5.5 or later. 

Try the new project -- if it works, great.  If not, then trashing of the media cache and media cache database, which is shared across all Adobe video production apps, is probably in order.  Even then, there's no guarantee your existing files will ever work, which will likely mean re-encoding your Premiere Pro sequences again.  If the new project does work, let's hope this is an isolated incident that you won't encounter again.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

The PGC errors in CS5, 5.5, and 6 appear to be different from the PGC errors that plagued a few of us in CS3. Such errors reported in the newer versions (at least those where the user reporting the error followed through) were tracked to a problem that warranted the error.

It is odd that the error's location is in the middle of a clip in Premiere. So this may be the exception to the new rule!

One workaround for the old (CS3) error was to delete the xmpses file before importing the problem clip (so reexport with a new name, delete the xmpses file, then import the new file to Encore). This required redoing chapter markers.

In CS3, I successfully modified existing projects, but Encore always likes a fresh start....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to Ian_T07

>why is Encore so quirky?

I don't work for Adobe, so this is only my opinion

Roxio holds the patent on disc writing, so the actual disc writing module(s) inside Encore are licensed, not written by Adobe

The "main" effect of this is that any time there is a writing error, the error message you see is a TRANSLATION of the communication between the Roxio module and the Encore "supervisory" code (like I said, I don't work for Adobe, so my wording is likely a bit wrong)

That "translation layer" means that the error you see may not be 100% accurate as to the true cause of the error... which leads to a lot of "try this" advice to try and fix the cause

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Ian_T07

>think Ford would "sort" them out, one way or another?

I don't know the car builder supply industry... but I see one major problem with your example

I will GUESS there is more than on maker of air bags... so Ford may switch if their are problems

Since Roxio has the patent on disc writing... there is no place else for Adobe to look

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Ian_T07

>impending demise of the DVD

I do not know market share numbers of DVD -vs- BluRay -vs- streaming video... but since I think Roxio's patents MAY cover BluRay writing as well, I do not think Encore will be out of a job any time soon

There is other DVD writing software... I have NO idea what "burning engine" that software uses... only that, according to what I have read on these forums, that Adobe uses the Roxio engine

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I don't know that we know where the line is in terms of roxio code, adobe code, and the dollar issue as to what adobe wishes to improve. This issue appears in the build, not the burn, but I have assumed that all of that is part of what adobe licenses from roxio.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points