Skip navigation
jasonrobertsdesign
Currently Being Moderated

swf not working after placing

Aug 17, 2012 6:44 AM

Tags: #swf

preview in muse has loader spinning but no flash slide show - preview in browser is blank pg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to jasonrobertsdesign

How did you import the .swf file?

File -> Place... ?

Julia

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to jasonrobertsdesign

Did you try it in all browsers?

Julia

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to jasonrobertsdesign

File:Place for a .swf works for self-contained SWFs (i.e. animations created in Flash Pro). However there are many different types of .swfs. A SWF written to provide slideshow or photo gallery functionality almost certainly relies on some set of additional files. At a minimum probably a .xml file or other configuration file to set the options on the slideshow/gallery and perhaps the layout, and a folder of images to be displayed.

File:Place in Muse would bring in the .swf file but not any of the other files the .swf depends upon, thus nothing appears.

The first step is to determine what these other files are. In most cases a tool that generates a "swf photo gallery" will produce as a folder with the .swf and some other files and subfolders. Generally the entire contents of that folder needs to be uploaded to your hosting. Once it's on your server, then an HTML object can be used to load the SWF on a page created from Muse.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to jasonrobertsdesign

Ok, this one is tricky. It involves an understanding of relative paths.

The following are all examples, I don't know your actual file setup.

First, you have your .swf file. It lives in a folder called RED

Inside of the RED folder you have an xml file and folder called IMAGES

Next, you have your .muse file. It lives in a folder called BLUE. We won't be discussing this folder.

When you preview your muse website, it sends all it's files to a folder called GREEN

You with me?

So what needs to happen is this: instead of sending the files to the GREEN folder, you want muse to send it to the RED folder. You want this because that's where all the files that the .swf file depends on live.

Your .swf will will never work in preview mode, because the files that the .swf file needs aren't in the GREEN folder.

When you want to see your SWF working, send your preview to the RED folder by using "File > Export as HTML"

Click on the location address and change it so it is the RED folder (the one that contains the .swf file and all it's dependent files). If you are using IE It will ask you if you want to allow blocked content. say yes.

When you are ready to publish, you will have to do so by uploading the RED folder. If you publish directly from Muse, it will not include the images and other files needed by the .swf file and the .swf won't work as a result.

There is an exception to this rule, that makes things a lot easier, but I don't want to confuse this post, so I will post it in the next reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to jasonrobertsdesign

The exception is if you have a very simple .swf file that only has an images folder (it can't be named anything else) with only images in that folder (no sub folders) and no other dependent files like an xml. In this very limited case, you can bring the images into muse and they will work on preview. (because copies of them are being placed in Muse's image folder)

----------

There is another possible approach, for the code savvy:

First, make sure your .swf file is live and in it's final location on the server.

Next use "Object > Insert HTML"

Then paste in some embed code. in this example I'll use an iframe:

<iframe width="500" height="30" src="http://www.yoursite.com/swf/swfpage.html" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You could also use the embed code found in the HTML page that Flash outputs or one of the other various methods found online.

This method uses a swf that is already live and has a known address so it will show in any preview situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to jasonrobertsdesign

Let's say you put the swf file on your home page.

In this case, yourfile.swf and index.html are interchangeable in terms of their location within the file structure. If yourfile.swf has an images folder and an xml file at the same level, then so should index.html once it has been published.

It sounds like uploading the contents of the slideshow folder to your root (not the slideshow folder itself) will do the trick

Note: Again, this will not make it appear in Preview mode, only the "Insert as HTML" method will do that, but it should work in it's final published state.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to T.J. Harrison

Hi, T.J.!

I am having issues with .swf files, as well. They used to work like charms on my prior web site—which was a site consisting of an html page with all my .swf files being called-up via their respective folders/hierachy. They all worked great.

Since creating my new Muse site, SOME of the  Flash .swf files function, while others function in part but some interactivity is not working. I get no errors, but things that used to work just fine do not work now. I have tried replicating the paths and placing the .swf files' assets in the same place Flash wants them to be. No dice.

Video files (which are either .flv or .f4v files), and some action script failures are the main issues in my Muse site.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to jasonrobertsdesign

Thanks, Jason!

I'll just sit tight and wait for Adobe to fix this stuff... hopefully. At least some of my Flash functions at 100% (the files that had major script involved).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to darling67

I have had some success with embedding and previewing video in Muse using the following method (I took some lead from TJ above).

Export your video from Premiere etc via the the media encoder to H.264 and your prefered size for the web.

Create a new project in Flash and import the video.

Publish from Flash to create the .swf and HTML files (as TJ says, to a folder named "RED" for instance)

Right click on the HTML file from Flash and open in Notepad.

Copy the code from "<div id=flash content"      up to and including      </div>

In Muse, go to Object, Insert HTML and paste the code. Position the box where you want the video to appear.

Now choose "export as HTML" from the file menu, but ensure that the export location is set to the folder you saved the .swf in for example the "RED" folder.

Now check your browser and click "allow content"

Your video should preview.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points