Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Difficulty arranging graph elements in Illustrator CS6

Aug 18, 2012 11:54 PM

In every version up to CS 5, I could use the direct select tool to select an element of a graph (e.g., a tick mark, an axis or a data point) and move it to another layer. This was very useful because it allows one to hide certain elements or, more importantly, choose which element appears on top when two elements (e.g., two data points) overlap without having to break the graph.

I can't seem to do this in CS6. Is there a new trick I need to learn here or has this functionality intentionally been de-activated?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 2:13 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

assign a stroke/fill of "none" instead

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

In every version up to CS 5, I could use the direct select tool to select an element of a graph (e.g., a tick mark, an axis or a data point) and move it to another layer.

Moving parts of a graph to another layer serves no purpose. As soon as you alter the graph's options, the parts you moved will re-make themselves on the original layer. Do not meddle with a graph's internal grouping; it's not the right way to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 3:38 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

As I said: assign stroke/fill of "none"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

What Monika says.

Also, if you just want to remove tick marks, set them as None in the Category and/or Value axes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

If that worked for you then you can select the element of the grsph the same way you have done before and copy andd then paste in place after selecting the new layer in the layers panel. However there wil be a new element created on the original raph under it. Buty that was true in the olf=der versions as well you might not have noticed it.

This means if you change the data to the graph the original element changes only and you will have to copy and past in place again of the other layer after deleting the older element.

But if thst does not bother you then it can still be done. If you do not care or need to update the graph then you can expand it and simple restack the elements within the same layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

I don't want to delete the tick marks, I just want them to be below the axis lines.

No problem.

Direct select the tick marks group by option-double-clicking one one of the ticks and move them down.

It might also make a neater job if you gave them projecting caps while you've got them selected.

Or did you maybe mean below in the stacking order?

Can't be done without ungrouping the graph, and then you lose contact with the data. Best do it on a copy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

{erhaps one day the graph tool will be update and all the lements will be individual objects coneect to the data but alpplied to the elements individually.

I think this is a very useful tool and a way for the graph tool to begin a systematic upgradding over two or three version to be come a powerful tool.

Right now i agree it is much to limited.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 2:16 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

Below the stacking order is what I meant. As you say, I will need to either expand the graph or copy-and-paste.

Reckon so. You can't see or modify the stacking order of graph elements in the Layers panel without ungrouping the graph, so there's no other way. Never has been.

On the other hand I agree with Wade that the graph tool needs revamping. It has hardly changed at all since it was first conceived.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points