Skip navigation

CS5 Performance on 12 Core Mac Pro's

Oct 12, 2010 3:28 PM

Latest reply: ECBowen, Sep 20, 2012 7:22 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jason,

OSX ability or lack thereof to corectly mulitthread is indeed part of the issue. and cross platform software audio or video runs better on windows.. this is just a fact.

on the other hand adobe can certainly use all the cores on windows. where the deminishing returns are with concern to cores is

6 core higher GHz vs 12 core lower ghz.. the higher GHz will always win.. with a few excepetions.

this is due to GHz wining not Adobes ability to corectly multithread.

our dual Xeon over clock to 4GHz was or still is the highest in PPBM

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

Hi Scott (and Eric) of SDK

I've seen this assertion " OSX ability or lack thereof to corectly mulitthread" before on forums related to Adobe CS. I guess I'd like to know if you think this is really a limitation of the Mac OS or of certain applications (specifically Adobe) that because they are cross-platform, have used more generic threading APIs than APIs that might take advantage of the Mac OS better. Other then you experimenting with certain apps, such as Final Cut Studio (I assume FCP 7?) and CS 5+ is there any other documentation or reports on the web you can point me to that Mac OS is just bad at mutlithreading? I have seen reports that FCP X can 'pin' all the processors in a 12 core Mac just fine, but with Premiere pro they get to maybe 50% max CPU usage for all the real and hyperthreaded cores. I have also seen multi-threading benchmarking applications 'pin' all the processors on Mac OS as well, so I suspect it's not an OS limitation, but a lack of optimization in the application.

What I really suspect is the culprit is that Adobe's foundation code base is built on Windows, and they have certain layers that deal with the specific OS for functions such as Multi threading. Because their interface is more generic and optimized to Windows and is built on more years and experience on Windows, it makes some sense that it would be less efficient on Mac. And if this is so, I think Adobe would be well-served to devote some resources to optimizing this part of their code to make Mac as efficient. Like it or not, they are going to have more and more Mac customers trying to come to Adobe, who are unwilling to switch platforms to PC for various and understandable reasons. (I'm one of those people.)

Anyway, thank you both for your helpful input, you are a great asset to this forum.

-Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Hi Eric

I thought I'd provide a little update on the ability or inability of Mac Pro 12 Cores to fully multithread. Today, I was having a very hard time getting a sequence to render from PPro CS 5.5.2 either as a direct export or through Media Encoder. I have a feeling it was the Adobe QT Server which was hanging. When either hangs, I find this is the culprit. Usually a restart of the Mac solves it, until the next time. I find the usually when this hang occurs, Media Encoder is dead. Sometimes force quitting Adobe Quicktime server will help, but usually a reboot brings it back. I find Media Encoder pretty darn unreliable. It hangs about 30%-50% of the time for me. Probably becaue of the QT bugginess, though I'm not blaming Apple necessarily as it is an Adobe component that is hanging.

Anyway, I had this sequence export to h.264 which was just hanging about 3/4 of the way through, it was very short - less than 10 min, 2 tracks, 4 clips and simple, but did have some QT wrapped H.264 files in it. I did the usuall reboot, tried, Premiere Pro direct export, still hung. Out of desparation (I really needed to output this sequence) I turned off MPE CUDA to Software only. (I have a Quadro 4000 for CUDA)

I then did an export using Premiere Pro directly (not queued to AME). For the first time using Premiere Pro I saw all 24 logical cores on my 12-core Mac Pro pinned to near 100%. usually the most I get out of it is 40%-50% during a render. And the render was quite fast, about as fast as with CUDA on, I think.

Anyway, can you explain why my 12-Core Mac Pro has the ability to multithread properly when CUDA is off, despite what you and Scott have been saying about Mac OS's deficient multithreading? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I saw this with my own eyes in Premiere Pro! Again, thanks to you and Scott for all your great info.

-Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Keith Moreau

The reason you see 100% CPU utilization is because you have turned off GPU acceleration this is no difference in what I see when doing the same thing.  30 -40 % CPU usage with MPE GPU and 100 % CPU usage without GPU.  That is my experience with a heavily loaded GPU accelerated effects and features with a MPEG2-DVD export..  But in using direct export from the timeline here is the encoding time acceleration that using the GPU offers over using the CPU alone

MPE-Gain-vs-card.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Thanks for the input Bill, I assume you are using Windows PC? I think my point was that it seemed that some folks were saying they never saw a Mac Pro 12 core get to 100% because the Mac OS was deficient and wasn't able to use multithreading as well as Windows PC. My point is that, at least in this instance, Premiere Pro as able to use all the cores properly. I do realize the benefits of GPU accelleration, I was just trying to illustrate that, at least on occasion the Mac can do this as well. By the way, I'm getting what I perceive to be much snappier performance without GPU MPE on right now during timeline editing. I think there is some bug or bottleneck going on. CUDA MPE should NEVER make things less snappy, don't you agree? I'm sure when I start adding CUDA effects all this snappiness and software MPE benefits will vanish. But for now with my simple timeline in the current project it's snappier.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Eric: Right now Mac OS 10.7.3, 12 core 2.9.3 ghz 32GB. Only during export, not when scrubbing or doing stuff in the timeline. However, much snapper with CUDA MPE off.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points