Skip navigation
fraxyl
Currently Being Moderated

Oil paint filter: The operation could not be completed

Aug 20, 2012 6:50 PM

Tags: #problem #issue #cloud

And this is just one of the problems I am getting. I'm running Win7 64bit, photoshop cs6 (also 64bit), have an i7 2600 and 16GB of RAM and an ati 5870 card running the latest drivers (12.8)

So, the operation could not be completed whenever I try to run the oil paint plugin and when I try to use the iris blur, my canvas goes blank. If I pull it out of docked mode and put it in a window, it's still blank until I move the window about and I can see my image, but as soon as I stop moving the window around, it's blank again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to fraxyl

Roll back to the 12.6 AMD drivers - 12.8 has problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to fraxyl

Clearly, your graphics card is out of oil paint Just kidding, it's their usual awful drivers.  They're so game-centric, every update seems to break something

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to fraxyl

What?  You never discovered ATI Art Supply?  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to fraxyl

I have the same exact symptoms. With oil paint or liquify filters I get "The operation could not be completed." When I use the iris Blur I also get the black canvas. I have tried various combinations of settings in the advanced graphics processor menu including changing drawing modes and enabling and disabling OpenCL as suggested in the support pages (http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/gpu-opengl-support-photoshop-cs4.h tml). None of these have resolved the issue.

I am running Win7 Home Premium 64bit and Photoshop CS6 64bit. I have an i5 2500 8 gigs of RAM and an AMD 7950 card running the latest drivers (12.8).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to Dragonfire4

That card and driver should be working just fine.

I suspect you may have some bits of an older driver still around.

Contact AMD for instructions on cleaning out old driver bits and getting a clean install.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks for the advice. I had found that suggestion elsewhere on the site after I posted and just finished a reinstall of drivers. That fixed the problem with liquefy and oil paint. However, I still have issues with the first three Blur filters: field, iris, and tilt shift. All three cause the canvas to go black when run and no matter what I do I cannot restore the image without exiting photoshop. If I close the window that is now black and reopen the original file (unsaved after the error) without exiting I still get a blank canvas. In order to be able to view that file again I need to close down photoshop completely. Then upon restart I can open and view the file.

If I completely disable "Use Graphics Processor" in the performance preferences then the filters work like normal.If I reenable they go back to the the black canvas behavior. I also tried leaving the "use graphics processor" enabled and changing the subsettings such as Drawing mode and none of those changes helped... the graphics processor needs to be completely disabled.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to Dragonfire4

Dragonfire - Liquify uses OpenGL.

But the blur filters use OpenCL.  I bet you still have an older openCL component (this was a common problem in some older ATI drivers).

Fraxyl - glad to hear that things are working now.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks for the advice Chris. I had used the disable OpenCL preference to no avail but after your post I went back and did a full manual uninstall as described here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-so ftware-drivers-for-graphics-cards

That seemed to fix everything. Phew. I feel much better now. Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Dragonfire4

Dragonfire - glad to hear things are working again.

Yeah, we saw the bad installer problem several months ago -- and OpenCL was the thing left behind most often.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points