Skip navigation
djw153
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Aug 23, 2012 11:47 AM

Hi,

I have created a site using Dreamweaver CS6 and have come to upload it. I entered the FTP details and set it going. (Incidentally, is there a way you can get only files that are actually used in the site to upload, rather than everything you have in the site folder?) However, it seemed to be going very slowly, so I switched over to FileZilla, which I have previously found to be quite quick. Here, the connection appears to timeout so the upload is attempted repeatedly, and when it gives up retrying the selected file shows on the server but with a file size of 0.

Several emails to the hosting company, and a bit of trial-and-error later, it seems that it is only files that come under the umbrella of this Dreamweaver site which will not upload properly. If I select a random file from my desktop, it will upload to the same server, indicating there is nothing wrong with my username/password, ports etc.

Why would it be that only my Dreamweaver files will not upload? It is not limited to html files. jpg files won't upload either. Even jpg's which are not linked to but still in the site folder will not upload!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to put this project to bed!

Many thanks,

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to djw153

Until one of the experts comes along, is it set to 'passive' upload in the server settings? I used to have problems with upload til i changed that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to djw153

Incidentally, is there a way you can get only files that are actually used in the site to upload, rather than everything you have in the site folder?

Select all of the files that are part of the site, and upload them with dependent files enabled.  Tricks like this are one of the reasons that I always name my files in a given site with a prefix, e.g.,

a_filename.php, a_filename2.php, etc.

That way, they all sort as a block of files, making it easy to select and upload.

A file size of zero is often encountered on free hosting sites when you have exceeded your storage allocation.  Might that be the case here?

Passive/active FTP would have nothing to do with this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to djw153

Let me review the facts. 

Can you upload these files to this site with DW (albeit slowly)?

Can you upload files to other sites with DW and if so, is the result different?

FileZilla is not able to upload any files that come from DW at all?

If you put an external file that you *can* upload with FileZilla into a DW site, can you then upload it with DW?  Or with FileZilla?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to djw153

If you can't upload with Filezilla then something else is going on. 

Are you working within a defined site in DW?

Do the site files reside on your local hard drive or an external drive?

Which operating system do you use?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to djw153

Sounds like you have done some good detective work.  The problem now is - you are able to connect, but not to upload.  So it doesn't sound like they have blocked your IP, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to djw153

To test your theory, can't you upload through a proxy?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to djw153

If you think your IP has been blocked, then going through a proxy server should get round this. Whether you can upload through a proxy, i don't know for sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to djw153

Don't suppose you're on wireless and can try a neighbours connection?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to djw153

Is the computer you are having issues with hard wired to the internet, or are you connecting wirelessly?

I had some issues similar to this with an old Netgear wireless router. I could connect and modify files, but when I attempted to upload anything, the process got hosed. When I connected the computer to the modem directly everything cleared up. I replaced the router and everything was fine from then on. I then conducted a little "Office Space" style therapy with a hammer on the old router.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to djw153

Are you running a local firewall?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to djw153

Make sure to plug directly into the modem so you can bypass the router and rule it out completely.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to djw153

I'd be checking your router firewall settings, although you'd think it would stop all ftp action regardless of site, unless they're hosted on a different server and the router is blocking ftp connections to that somehow

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to djw153

What is your FTP Log saying about this whole situation?

In Site > Advanced > FTP Log

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to djw153

Ok, try unplugging everything from the router except for the pc you're trying to upload from. Can even switch cable to another ethernet port as a "I dont know why, but might aswell try it" sort of thing. It should assign a different ip address, but not sure what else it will do.........

Then i guess it's some long winded calls to your isp and server host to work out what's going on, as one of them must be blocking something.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to djw153

Should I be chucking out the router and looking for a new one, do you think?

Dare I say "BINGO"?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points