Skip navigation
ARTFRAMEJim
Currently Being Moderated

Problem installing Acrobat 10

Aug 18, 2012 9:58 AM

Tags: #my #acrobat_x #computer_lenovo

How can I make the "My Computer" folder stop opening every time I boot my computer?  I know this problem is directly related to installation of Adobe Acrobat 10, which I downloaded this morning.  My brand-new laptop computer worked perfectly until that installation, but now that folder opens on the desktop at startup.

I have already disabled all of the startup programs, and it still happens.  Suggestions?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Check your Extras --> Folder options and turn off the option to remember opened folders. It's simply looking for the install source and since it can't find it, it opens the My Computer instead.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

HI...I have the same issue...Did you find a resolution to this?  thx!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Thanks for your reply. 

That's interesting because my PC is a new Lenovo Z580 IdeaPad.  I've contacted Adobe, who was unsuccessful in resolving the issue, and I am currently in discussiions with level 3 tech support at Microsoft...They think it is a registry key issue that needs fixing, but nobody seems to know...I never thought of calling on Lenovo....Hopefully the only "fix" is not replacement because I already have a lot of time invested in this machine over the last week in migrating data and getting things the way I like them...I will call Lenovo today...

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to stevefromboston

Moving this discussion to the Acrobat Installation and Updates forum.  ARTFRAMEJim and stevefromboston the users in this forum will better be able to address your inquiry.  You are certainly welcome to contact our support team as well.  You can access our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Do you have a case number which I can utilize to review your interaction with our support team?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Sound very similar to a known issue documented on Microsoft's web site:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899865

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to Sabian Zildjian

ARTFRAMEJim does the observed behavior stop after you remove Acrobat?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I called in yesterday, was given very little support and was asked to call Microsoft as they said it sounds like a registry or services issue.  No case # offered.

When Acrobat X Pro is removed, that behavior stops.

In Safe Mode, it doesn't occur.

Setting up new user as admin, same thing happens.

With Norton removed, still happens.

Microsoft has just emailed my a link for a 3.09GB file (Windows 7 64-bit)...They want me to run a repair and see if that fixes it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to stevefromboston

Excellent Stevefromboston can you please update this thread with your results?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Just wanted to chime in, I am having the exact same problem.  Only happened after installing Adobe Acrobat.  Looking forward to a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to motodan802

I ran the full Windows 7 again (instead of full install, I was instructed to do an "upgrade" so my data on the PC wasn't wiped out). 

It took about 2 hours.

Still have the same problem.

I'd like to see someone at Adobe step up and find a resolution to this issue which is so very clearly caused by the Acrobat install...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to stevefromboston

I have requested one of my colleagues more involved with Acrobat to review this thread to see if they have any additional suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Just curious...Do any of you who are having this problem have other Adobe products installed?  I have photoshop 7 installed....Just wondering...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Any word on this Jeff?  Thx

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,265 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Aug 28, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Hi Jim and Steve,

Could one (or both) of you post a screenshot of the folder that pops up when you start the computer after Acrobat X is installed? 

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I missed the email from Jeff.

-David

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

If you double click "My Computer", the window that opens that shows your drives....

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,265 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Aug 28, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to stevefromboston

Steve,

Could you try Start > Run and type msconfig

Click the 'Startup' tab. 

Can you scroll to the bottom of the list and share what the last few items on list are?  Be careful not to click any of the sorting options at the top of the screen in the middle, but only use them to resize the columns as needed.  The most recently added entries will be at the bottom by default.

-David

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

Sorry David for the delay...We'd already gone thru all of that with msconfig, regedit, etc...

I was in the middle of a 5 hour remote session with Microsoft...and....I think he was able to fix this....I tried to follow, and I believe this is what finally worked...

Step 1: OPEN WINDOWS TASK MANAGER

Step 2: UNDER THE "PROCESS" TAB, RIGHT-CLICK "STARTUP.EXE" AND OPEN FILE LOCATION (MY UNDERSTANDING IS THIS ISN'T SUPPOSE TO BE THERE)

Step 3: RENAME THE .EXE FILE (change the extension from .exe to ".old" this stops it from running automatically)

Step 4: REBOOT AND PRAY TO GOD

I believe this is accurate, but I'm not a technical guy...Hopefully the guys at Adobe can refine these instructions and make sure it in correct BEFORE YOU TRY IT...

this is what I followed him do and he told me what he was doing...hope this helps...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

To add some info based on stevefromboston, I do not have startup.exe in my proccesses, so this cannot fix it for me. 

In response to David Kastendick, a screenshot isn't neccesary, it just opens the my computer on startup, as steve said.  It looks exactly the same as if you double-clicked and opened the My Computer folder.  The problem only occured after Acrobat was installed, and goes away once its removed.

I've carefully checked all of my startup list, disabled everything adobe and anything I couldn't identify.  Nothing seems to work except uninstall.

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,265 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Aug 28, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to motodan802

Hi motodan802,

Do you also have a Lenovo Ideapad?

I'm just curious if this issue is isolated to that hardware manufacturer.

-David

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

Yes, I do, its a Lenovo U410. 

Thanks,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to motodan802

ARTFRAMEJim has a Lenovo Y480 IdeaPad

I have a Lenovo Z580 IdeaPad

Motodan802 has a Lenovo U410 IdeaPad

hmmm.....

I wish the fix Microsoft did for me worked for you guys as well...I was on the verge of giving up and just living with the annoyance... I spent WAY too much time on this. 

I was grateful Microsoft stepped up to the plate for me and spent many hours trying to figure this out, when frankly, this is clearly not a problem they needed to deal with as it is an Adobe/Lenovo-caused problem....Hopefully you guys find a fix, but I have to believe it can't be too far from the fix they had for me...Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,265 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    Aug 30, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to stevefromboston

Just wanted to update that I've shared this issue with our engineering department and we're trying to duplicate the issue.

-David

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

If it helps at all...My Windows Service Request # (case #) at Microsft was 1182795019.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to David Kastendick

Two weeks later...just checking in to see if the issue was identified...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

No solution for me yet, folder still opens everytime I restart. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to ARTFRAMEJim

Lenovo Y580 here.  ANY Adobe non-free product appears to give me this issue!

It can be anything within the CS5 or CS6 Suites, and even Adobe Acrobat 10 Pro by itself.  Adobe Reader and Flash are OK.

I've about pulled my hair out trying to figure this one...and I just joined the forum to share my experience (that is, hours and hours of wasted time).

I've installed the products above on nearly 100 computers now...WITHOUT SEEING THIS ISSUE.  Dell, HP, Sony, ASUS...all the majors...and about 30 PC's that I custom built with Intel i7 Quads and Asus motherboards.

It's not so much Adobe....it's more Lenovo.  There's something they've added to the basic Windows 7 platform that is causing this.

Candidates include:

OneKey Recovery

OneKey Theater

Lenovo Energy Management

Lenovo Battery Management

Additional candidates could include specific versions of addons from third-party vendors;

Cyberlink

Bluetooth Software

Vmicro (webcam)

Syngesture BS

Realtek

etc.

At first I thought it was related to one of the AutoDesk products, either AutoCAD or Revit.  But nope...it's only when one of the Adobe products above is installed.

NOW...this laptop is SO SCREWED UP from heavy uninstalling and System Restores...that I'm going to have to reformat the drive and start all over...but hold off on these Adobe products until an answer is found.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points